This Broccoli Casserole is an easy low carb keto recipe and the perfect comforting side dish for dinner. It’s super simple to make with broccoli, cheddar cheese, cauliflower rice, garlic and Parmesan cheese.
Updated October 2019
Comforting casseroles are the perfect dinner solution when life gets busy. Casseroles like this Cauliflower casserole, Green Bean Casserole and Breakfast Casserole are all made with simple pantry ingredients and perfect for using up leftovers. All you have to do is prep a few ingredients in the morning and pop the pan into the oven once you get home after a long day.
This Broccoli Casserole recipe is packed with good for you veggies and full of cheesy goodness. The best part? It’s completely gluten free, grain free, sugar free and perfect if you’re following a low carb keto diet.
Fresh broccoli casserole is also perfect as a Thanksgiving side dish but also super simple to make a head for busy November weeknights.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED TO MAKE BROCCOLI CASSEROLE:
Classic broccoli casserole usually includes cream of mushroom soup, mayonnaise, and a Ritz cracker topping. Our healthier from scratch broccoli casserole is made with:
- ghee OR melted butter
- coconut cream OR heavy cream
- dairy-free cream cheese (such as Kite Hill or Myokos) OR regular cream cheese
- vegan cheddar cheese OR regular cheddar cheese
- chicken broth or chicken stock
- shredded cooked chicken OR rotisserie chicken
- broccoli florets – you can use fresh broccoli or frozen broccoli
- cauliflower rice
- Parmesan cheese
HOW TO MAKE BROCCOLI CASSEROLE
- PREHEAT OVEN: Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease a 9×13 baking dish or 2.5 quart casserole dish. Set aside.
- MAKE THE CREAMY CHEESE SAUCE: Heat the butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add garlic and stir in flour. Slowly whisk in heavy cream and continue whisking until bubbly and thickened. Stir in Italian seasoning, paprika, salt, black pepper, cream cheese and 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese and whisk until thickened and smooth.
- ADD VEGETABLES: Stir in chicken broth, cauliflower rice, chicken (if using) followed by broccoli and spinach, then toss to coat. Add more cheese or cream as needed for desired consistency.
- TRANSFER to a 9 x 13 baking pan or casserole dish and sprinkle with shredded cheddar and Parmesan cheese.
- BAKE for 37-42 minutes or until heated through and the top is slightly golden and serve hot.
TIPS AND SUBSTITUTIONS:
If you’d like to lighten up the calories in this cheesy casserole, you can try these healthier substitutions:
- Use Whole30 compliant mayonnaise such as Primal Kitchen or Chosen Foods or swap out half of the mayonnaise for dairy-free or low carb plain Greek yogurt;
- Swap out the cream cheese for a dairy-free plant-based cashew cream cheese such as Kite Hill or Myokos
- Use low-fat cheese OR if you prefer, you can use a vegan cheese
CAN I MAKE BROCCOLI CASSEROLE AHEAD OF TIME?
Absolutely! The best thing about making casseroles is that you can make them ahead of time or make a double batch on Sunday meal prep and store in the fridge to reheat during the week. Don’t you just love when dinner is so easy and all you have to do is reheat it when you’re ready to serve?
CAN BROCCOLI CASSEROLE BE FROZEN?
Yes! This chicken broccoli casserole also works great as a freezer-friendly meal. Simply store in a freezer-safe container and thaw overnight in the fridge the night before. Reheat in the oven or the microwave when you’re ready to serve.
WHAT ELSE CAN I SERVE THIS BROCCOLI CHEESE CASSEROLE WITH?
We make this cheesy casserole regularly since my family always says this is one of their favorites. It takes hardly any time to whip up and is so perfect for busy weeknights!
IS BROCCOLI CASSEROLE HEALTHY OR LOW CARB?
Yes! Since this broccoli casserole is made with real ingredients, it definitely fits into a healthy low carb lifestyle.
The nutritional info for one serving is:
- 295 calories
- 7g Net carbs: 12g total carbs – 5g fiber
- 9g Protein
- 25g Fat
More low carb recipes you might like:
Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Cauliflower Casserole - the perfect comforting and easy side dish. Best of all, this recipe is keto friendly and packed with broccoli, cheese, cauliflower rice, garlic, and Parmesan.
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons ghee OR unsalted grass-fed butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons almond flour
- 1 1/4 cups coconut cream OR heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- sea salt & black pepper , to taste
- 4 ounces dairy-free cream cheese OR regular cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded dairy-free OR regular cheddar cheese , divided
- 1/4 cup chicken broth OR water , plus more as needed for creamy consistency
- 3 1/2 cups cauliflower rice about 1 head small cauliflower
- 1/2 cup shredded cooked chicken , leave out if desired
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup loosely packed baby spinach
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast OR grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease a 9x13 baking pan or 2.5 quart casserole dish. Set aside.
Heat ghee or butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add garlic and stir in almond flour. Slowly whisk in cream and continue whisking until bubbly and thickened.
Turn heat down to low and stir in Italian seasoning, paprika, salt, black pepper, cream cheese and 1/4 cup of cheese. Whisk until thickened and smooth.
- Stir in chicken broth, cauliflower rice, chicken (if using) followed by broccoli and spinach, then toss to coat. Add more cheese or cream as needed for desired consistency.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 baking pan or 2.5 quart casserole dish.
Sprinkle with nutritional yeast (or Parmesan) and reserved cheese and bake for 37-42 minutes or until heated through and top is lightly golden.
- Serve hot and sprinkle with chopped parsley if desired.