How to make Roasted Delicata Squash. Tips and tricks on how to cook this delicious squash for a quick, easy, healthy & delicious low carb side dish perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas or any holiday gathering. So simple to customize and make in the oven or the air fryer.
Updated October 2019
Squash season is in full swing. Acorn, butternut, delicata, kobacha, spaghetti, pumpkin – which one is your favorite? As much as my family loves Spaghetti Squash Bowls and Roasted Butternut Squash, Delicata Squash probably wins my heart.
They’re super cute and the smaller size makes cutting them a breeze. Plus, I love that the skin is totally edible which means no peeling required!
And of course, they are delicious no matter and you can make them a ton of different ways.
Cut them in half and make stuffed delicata squash, delicata squash rings or delicata squash fries.
WHAT’S THE BEST WAY TO MAKE DELICATA SQUASH?
There are a ton of ways to cook delicata squash. You can roast delicata squash in the oven, cook the squash in a slow cooker, Instant Pot and even an air fryer.
They make a great make ahead recipe. You can make a big batch ahead of time for your Sunday meal prep and then reheat how much you need during the week to serve along as an easy and tasty side dish.
HOW TO PREP AND COOK DELICATA SQUASH:
- Give the skin a nice scrubbing with a brush and pat it dry. You want to make sure the skin is nice and clean since you’re going to be eating the skin.
- Cut off both ends then you can either:
- slice the squash into rings and scoop out the seeds OR
- slice the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Slice the seeded halves into 1/4-inch thick slices (half circles).
HOW TO MAKE ROASTED DELICATA SQUASH
- Once you’ve prepped your squash, preheat the oven to 425 F. Line or spray your baking sheets with oil.
- Drizzle the squash with olive oil, sea salt, black pepper and garlic powder. Feel free to add other seasonings you like – smoked paprika, oregano or Italian seasoning are some great options.
- Lay flat in a single layer (making sure the squash does not overlap), and bake in the center of the oven for about 10-12 minutes, remove from the oven and use tongs to flip to the other side. Continue baking until tender on the inside and perfectly crispy and golden brown on the outside.
This recipe is simple to make and fits perfectly in a variety of diets. It’s naturally gluten free, Whole30, paleo & ketogenic friendly.
And the best part? You can easily customize it depending on what you like or have on hand.
Sprinkle some balsamic vinegar, grated Parmesan or add a touch of sweetness with a hint of maple syrup (or sugar free) and cinnamon.
IS DELICATA SQUASH HEALTHY?
Yes! It’s loaded with Vitamin A, Vitamin C, potassium and fiber. It’s also lower in carbs than other popular fall squashes like butternut and acorn so you can still enjoy it occasional if you’re following a low carb keto diet.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT DELICATA SQUASH?
WHAT CAN I SERVE DELICATA SQUASH WITH?
This delicious squash is great on its own but goes so well with so many dishes.
You can serve it in a salad or anytime during the holidays at your Thanksgiving / Christmas dinner table or how about with:
More easy side dishes:
A quick, easy & delicious low carb side dish perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas or any holiday gathering. Healthy recipe that needs only a few min of prep.
- 2 delicata squash (about 2.5 lbs) , washed and dried
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper or to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line or lightly coat a large baking sheet with parchment paper (foil) or cooking spray.
- Trim the ends and slice the squash into rings. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
- Trim the ends and slice the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Slice the seeded halves into 1/4-inch thick slices (half circles) and place.
- Lay the squash onto the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Use your hands to toss well to coat.
- Spread the squash out on the baking sheet into a single layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes then flip and return to oven until tender and golden brown, about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.
Place the squash in a single layer in the air fryer basked.
Air fry at 400F for 12 minutes, shaking half-way through.
Repeat with any remaining squash.