This Chicken Piccata is an easy one pan dinner recipe that comes together in under 30 minutes. It’s made with tender chicken breasts with a buttery lemon sauce with capers. Perfect for date night or busy weeknights and is low carb, keto, gluten free, paleo and Whole30 compliant.
Updated July 2019
EASY DINNER RECIPES
WHAT IS CHICKEN PICCATA
Chicken Piccata is a classic Italian dish made with chicken breast cutlets coated in flour and browned. Piccata refers to the noodles that it is typically served and coated in a lemon butter sauce made with stock or wine and capers.
We first had lemon chicken piccata pasta when we visited Italy on our honeymoon a while back. What I love is that it’s impressive enough for a date night but yet pretty easy to make with simple pantry ingredients.
IS CHICKEN PICCATA KETO?
Classic Chicken Piccata is typically coated in all purpose flour and served with pasta or mashed potatoes so it is not very keto friendly
Our keto chicken piccata recipe is made with almond flour and served with roasted asparagus so it definitely fits into a low carb keto lifestyle. And the best part, it’s also paleo, gluten free, grain free and Whole30 compliant.
You can also serve it with a side of salad or non-starchy vegetables like spinach, kale, green beans, cauliflower, broccoli
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED
- skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- salt and black pepper
- almond flour
CHICKEN PICCATA SAUCE
- unsalted grass-fed butter OR ghee
- olive oil
- compliant chicken broth / chicken stock (OR wine if not Whole30)
- lemon juice
- Italian seasoning
- smoked paprika (optional)
- fresh lemon wedges
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN PICCATA
The great thing about this easy Chicken Piccata recipe is that it cooks up in just one skillet in about 30 minutes. The key is to make sure you start off with thin pieces of chicken breasts or pound them to even thickness.
SEASON CHICKEN: Generously season the boneless chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Then dust with a coating of almond flour, shaking off any excess. Feel free to use all purpose flour if you are not following any particular food diet or have any food sensitivities.
BROWN CHICKEN: Heat 1 tablespoon of the butter (or ghee) along with oilive oil in a large non-stick skillet set over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for 4–6 minutes per side, or until golden and cooked through. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
MAKE THE LEMON SAUCE: Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter, lemon juice, chicken broth, capers, garlic, Italian seasoning, and paprika (if using) to the skillet. Return skillet to medium heat and bring to a boil while scraping down the brown bits.
- TASTE, ADJUST AND SERVE: Adjust seasonings as needed and sprinkle with fresh parsley. Alternatively, you can pour the sauce over the chicken and garnish with parsley and lemon wedges, if desired. Serve with your favorite sides.
WHAT IS CHICKEN PICCATA SERVED WITH?
This easy chicken dish is delicious on its on and also goes well with so many sides. An authentic piccata is served angel hair pasta, but many people also serve it with rice, mashed potatoes or roasted potatoes.
You can serve this healthy chicken piccata with many grain free options include a side of cauliflower rice, spiralized zucchini noodles, roasted asparagus, broccoli or with a side of salad.
Chicken Piccata is an easy, low carb, gluten free, one-pan meal. It's perfect for date night or busy weeknights - it comes together in under 30 minutes with a tasty lemon caper sauce.
- 2 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts , cut horizontally & pounded to even thickness
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper , to taste
- 4 Tablespoons almond flour OR all purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted grass-fed butter , divided OR ghee
- 1 tablespoon olive oil OR avocado oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 1 large lemon)
- 1/2 cup compliant chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons baby capers , drained
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika , optional
- lemon wedges for garnish (optional)
Season chicken with salt and pepper and dust with a light coating of almond flour, shaking off any excess.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the butter along with the oil in a large non-stick skillet set over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for 4–6 minutes per side, or until golden and cooked through. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter, lemon juice, chicken broth, capers, garlic, Italian seasoning, and paprika (if using) to the skillet. Return skillet to medium heat and bring to a boil while scraping down the brown bits.
- Adjust seasonings as needed and sprinkle with fresh parsley. Alternatively, you can pour the sauce over the chicken and garnish with parsley and lemon wedges, if desired. Serve with your favorite sides.
Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease or line one large baking sheet with parchment or foil for easier cleanup.
Arrange 1 bunch of asparagus in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle
with 1 tablespoon olive oil then sprinkle with salt, and pepper to taste.
Toss to coat well. Roast for 10-12 minutes or until the asparagus is tender-crisp.