Homemade Beef Stew (The Best Classic recipe) is the perfect comforting dish on a cold day. This delicious recipe is so easy to make with tender fall apart beef and hearty vegetables and a meal the entire family will love. Plus recipe video.
Photos updated October 2017 from original October 2015 post
This Classic Homemade Beef Stew is an absolute favorite at our house. My mom used to make a big pot of homemade beef stew for us on the weekends as soon as the weather got cooler.
It became one of our favorite cold weather foods – thick, hearty and the best comforting bowl of goodness. We’d always go for seconds and thirds throughout the day. So perfectly soul-warming after playing outside in the snow.
Homemade beef stew still remains one of my favorite lazy Sunday meals I make for my own family now.
We rotate between:
in our new Instant Pot pressure cooker
and the slow cooker (and let everything simmer all day long)
all depending on how much time I have.
It’s guaranteed that the kids will happily eat it even with all those healthy and nourishing vegetables.
The combination of hearty chunks of meat, root vegetables, garlic and fresh herbs fills the house with the most wonderful aromas.
The great thing about soups and stews is that you can customize them with whatever you have on hand. Feel free to add or leave out whatever suits your tastes!
Jam-packed and loaded with fresh, real ingredients that are delicious and you can feel good about feeding it to your family and yourself.
Make-ahead tips for this Classic Homemade Beef Stew
- peel and chop all the vegetables the day before and store them in a zip-top freezer bag in the freezer. This helps to prevent the potatoes from changing color
- cut the meat into chunks the day before (or you can buy pre-packaged stew meat) and store in a zip-top freezer bag in the fridge or freezer
- This is my favorite pot for making big batches of soups —> click HERE
- Making this stew in an Instant Pot is such a big time saver as well —> click HERE
- Or you can use your slow cooker for a set and forget meal —> click HERE
More comforting dishes: