Enchilada Stuffed Avocado Cups have all the flavors you love about this popular Mexican dish. Perfect for lunch, dinner or as an appetizer at parties. Best of all, easy to customize turkey, chicken or beef plus low carb options included.
If you’re looking for a last minute dish to bring to a potluck dinner or your own Mexican fiesta, these enchilada stuffed avocado cups are a tasty and filling appetizer, lunch or light dinner.
For low carb, leave out the corn and black beans and you have a tasty and keto friendly meal!
HOW TO MAKE ENCHILADA STUFFED AVOCADOS:
- You’re going to start off by browning the turkey then season with salt, pepper and cumin. (ground beef or chicken would work here as well)
- For the filling, we used corn, red bell peppers, black beans and olives but feel free to add or swap out anything you like. To keep the stuffing low carb, you can leave out the corn and black beans and add in some zucchini or diced tomatoes.
- Stir in the enchilada sauce (your favorite brand or homemade) along with the rest of the cumin until heated through.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese.
- Split the avocado in half and remove the pit. For a larger surface, feel free to scoop out some of the avocado flesh. Fill each taco half with 2-3 tablespoons of the turkey filling. Sprinkle with additional cheese, green onions and fresh cilantro.
CAN I MAKE THESE STUFFED AVOCADOS AHEAD OF TIME?
Since avocados brown easily, I would suggest cutting and filling them no more than an hour before you plan to serve them.
You can certainly make the taco filling in advance. Just cook the meat the night before and store in a resealable container. The next day, heat on the skillet for about 2-3 minutes, until heated through and stir in additional cheese for extra gooeyness.
More recipes you might like:
Enchilada Stuffed Avocado Cups have all the flavors you love about this popular Mexican dish and are perfect for parties. Best of all, easy to customize with turkey or beef plus low carb options.
- 3/4 - 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt divided, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin divided
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper finely diced
- 1/4 cup canned black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup sliced olives
- 2/3 cup enchilada sauce canned or homemade
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby Jack or cheddar cheese plus more for topping
- 2 - 3 medium Haas avocados cut in half and pits removed
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
In a large skillet, add turkey and brown until cooked through. Drain any grease then season with salt, black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon cumin.
Add corn, bell pepper, black beans, olives, enchilada sauce, remaining cumin and stir to evenly combine ingredients. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings. Remove skillet from heat and stir in shredded cheese.
- Fill each avocado half with 2-3 tablespoons of the turkey mixture. Sprinkle with green onions, fresh cilantro, additional cheese and serve.