How to build the perfect Fall Cheese Board – ingredients and tips to assemble the ultimate Thanksgiving or Christmas party appetizer tray with autumn flavors. Best of all, no cooking required and takes less than 20 minutes.
With Thanksgiving and the Christmas holidays quickly approaching, there’s nothing better than serving up the perfect charcuterie and cheese board for your guests to enjoy.
Cheese boards are the best for holiday entertaining because they require no cooking and no baking which is perfect when you’re trying to save that precious stove and oven space.
And if you’re looking for more ideas, we’ve already got a few popular snack boards on our site that you can check out here:
Having a variety is key when you’re feeding a crowd — that way there is something for everyone.
HOW TO ASSEMBLE THE ULTIMATE FALL CHEESE BOARD:
CHEESE BOARD INGREDIENTS:
1. THE CHEESE BOARD:
There are lots of items you can use as your cheese board:
Cheese is and should be the star of any amazing cheese board so be sure to pick up some good quality cheeses.
Pick a variety of about 3-5 cheeses depending on how large your board is.
- semi-hard cheese
- hard cheese
It’s a good idea to arrange the cheeses first on your cheese board and then start assembling the rest of the ingredients around then.
For these cheeseboards, we used:
- Aged Cheddar
- Brie – rich and creamy
- Blue Cheese
- Smoked Gouda – cut into cubes
- Goat Cheese
Be sure to set the cheese out to come to room temp prior to serving.
3. What type of Charcuterie / Meats should I use for the best Cheeseboard?
Use a variety of your favorite cured or deli meats with different textures.
Seafood (such as smoked salmon) makes a great option to add to give your guests more choices.
For the perfect autumn cheeseboard, here are some great options you can easily find:
- Salami / Sausage
- Smoked Salmon
- Beef Jerky
- Pepperoni Sticks
- Grilled Shrimp
Since this is a Autumn Cheese Board, it would be a great idea to choose meats that are smoked with maple, sage and other fall flavors of the season.
4. CRUNCHY SNACKS / CRACKERS FOR THE BEST FALL CHEESE BOARD:
I love using 2-3 different types of crackers. Some conventional square crackers to crunchy or long bread-sticks are some great breads to start off with.
Just lay them on the cheese board around the meet and wherever there are opening.
- square crackers
- crunchy breadsticks
- cheese sticks
- mini baguettes
- cheese crisps
- salty crackers
FOR LOW CARB / KETO -FRIENDLY – Leave out the crackers and use crispy cheese bites (Whisps) and pork rinds instead.
5. WHAT FRUITS & VEGGIES ARE BEST IN AN AUTUMN CHARCUTERIE BOARD?
Adding seasonal fresh fruit and veggies not only adds a bright pop of color but they also add flavor and texture.
Use a variety of dried and fresh fruit you like or have on hand.
For an Autumn Harvest Cheese Board:
- Apples – Honeycrisp, Granny Smith, Crispps
- Pears – Bosc, Bartlett
- Squash – Delicata, Acorn, Kabocha, Buttercup
- Dried Apricots
- Fresh Berries (Strawberry, Blackberry, Blueberry, Raspberry)
- Broccoli – low carb
- Cauliflower – low carb
- Cucumbers – low carb
- Freeze-Dried Raspberries – low carb
- Olives – low carb
- Radishes – low carb
- Red Bell Peppers – low carb
- Plaintain Chips
- Zucchini – low carb
7. Nuts and other extras / condiments
Use your favorite nuts, sauces and spreads.
- almonds – low carb
- pecans – low carb
- pumpkin seeds
- macadamia nuts – low carb
- Pili nuts – low carb
- apple butter
- pumpkin butter
8. Use up extra ingredients to fill up the spaces for the perfect Fall Cheeseboard
Fill up any opening spots with the remainder of ingredients of your choice. To add some fun pops of color, add fresh herbs or fresh flowers.
And there you have it!
You don’t HAVE to include all of the items we used in our cheeseboards.
Pick a few of your favorites or things you have in your pantry.
- Blue Cheese
- Smoked Gouda
- Brie, Goat Cheese, Manchego, Havarti e Brie, Goat Cheese, Manchego, Havarti etc.tc.
- Genoa Salami
- Smoked Salmon
- 2-3 varieties of crackers breadsticks, mini toast bites
- FOR LOW CARB: Use Cheese Crisps Whisps and pork rinds
- Seasonal vegetables broccoli cauliflower, carrots, cucumber, tomatoes & red bell peppers
- Dried fruits: apricots cranberries, plaintain chips
- Fresh berries or other fruits: apples cranberries pears, grapes, pomegranates
- 2-3 types of nuts almonds pecans, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, macadamia nuts etc.
- Apple Butter
- Pumpkin Butter
- Place the cheeses on a large cookie sheet, platter, slate board or wooden cutting board.
- Arrange the meats around the cheeses.
- Add crackers or crispy snacks.
- Fill in gaps with vegetables, fruits and nuts. Use small bowls or cups for extra dimension. Top with fresh herbs and flowers for a pop of color. Enjoy.