Keto Frittata is an easy make ahead low carb recipe perfect for a spring breakfast, brunch or dinner. It’s a gluten free protein packed recipe made with asparagus, diced ham, bell peppers, cheddar and goat cheese.
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE THIS KETO FRITTATA:
This keto breakfast frittata is packed with protein and includes our favorite spring vegetables. Asparagus is one of my favorite spring veggies and it goes so well with goat cheese, broccoli, ham and bell peppers.
The best part is that you can easily customize the add-ins with whatever low carb veggies you have on hand. If you’re not a fan of goat cheese or want to make a dairy free frittata, feel free to leave it out.
Another great thing about frittatas is you can make them ahead the night before when you have overnight guests for Mother’s Day, Easter or any weekend brunch. They make an easy, quick and delicious meal and are perfect for busy mornings.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A FRITTATA AND AN OMELETTE?
Do you ever crave eggs for breakfast but want something more filling than scrambled eggs? Frittatas and omelettes make a delicious option.
Omelettes are typically made to serve just one, while frittatas can serve one or many.
WHAT IS A FRITTATA MADE OF?
A frittata is an egg-based Italian dish that is made with well-beaten eggs. It’s similar to an omelette or crustless quiche except you cook any additional filling ingredients directly in the pan with the eggs. Frittatas are a great way to use up leftover ingredients such as meats, cheeses or vegetables.
HOW DO YOU MAKE A FRITTATA?
To make a low carb frittata, you start by beating the eggs and cooking them in a hot skillet for a few minutes until the outer edges are set. Add the filling ingredients and transfer the pan to the oven where the eggs finish cooking.
HOW TO MAKE A KETO FRITTATA:
- Start off by heating some oil or butter in your cast iron skillet or oven safe frying pan over medium high heat.
- Add the onion, asparagus, bell peppers and ham. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs with heavy cream and season with salt, black pepper and garlic powder. Stir half of the cheddar cheese.
- Spread the asparagus into an even layer. Pour egg mixture into the skillet over the asparagus and sprinkle with crumbled goat cheese. Transfer the frittata into the oven until just set.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm.
WHAT OTHER FILLING INGREDIENTS CAN I ADD TO FRITTATAS?
The great thing about frittatas is that they are perfect for using up leftover vegetables and protein from your fridge. Add some zucchini, kale or spinach to keep this frittata low carb.
Instead of ham, you can use prosciutto, sausage, cooked chicken or turkey instead.
Not a fan of goat cheese? Leave it out or use feta instead.
HOW DO I STORE FRITTATA? CAN I MAKE FRITTATAS AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes, frittatas are a delicious freezer-friendly meal. You can cut into wedges and wrap each individual piece in the freezer and reheat when ready to serve.
WHAT SHOULD I SERVE WITH FRITTATAS?
While frittatas are delicious on their own for breakfast, you can also serve them with sides for a quick breakfast for dinner (we love brinner) on those busy weeknights. This Instant Pot Ham, pot roast, roasted asparagus or this delicious salmon cobb salad would be great options.
And if you’re looking for more easy breakfast recipes:
Keto Frittata is an easy make ahead low carb recipe perfect for a spring breakfast, brunch or dinner. It's a gluten free protein packed recipe made with asparagus, diced ham, bell peppers, cheddar and goat cheese.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 1/4 onion diced
- 1/2 pound asparagus tough ends trimmed and cut into 2″ pieces
- 1/3 cup chopped broccoli florets
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- Himalayan pink salt and black pepper to taste
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream OR almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees with the rack in the middle position.
In a 10″ nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat the oil or butter and add the onions, asparagus, broccoli and bell peppers. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until just becoming tender. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, whisk the eggs with cream and season with additional salt and pepper. Stir in the garlic powder and cheddar cheese. Pour the eggs into the same pan with the asparagus, and top with crumbled goat cheese.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and cook until the the frittata is just set, about 15-18 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm.