This Zucchini Lasagna is an easy low carb keto lasagna using zucchini noodles in place of traditional wheat pasta. It’s made in one pot in 30 minutes and is perfect for busy weeknights.
Looking for a low carb dinner that satisfies that Italian food craving? This Zucchini Lasagna is so easy to make and the perfect way to use up that summer garden zucchini.
This keto lasagna recipe has all the delicious flavors of a classic lasagna but uses zucchini noodles so it’s perfect if you’re following a low carb keto diet.
Plus this homemade lasagna is gluten free, packed with veggies and is totally kid-friendly. Don’t you just love a healthy comfort dish that is family approved. And the best part is that this quick dinner takes just 30 minutes to make, is super versatile and easy to customize.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED FOR KETO PASTA:
FOR THE MEAT SAUCE:
- ground turkey: leave out for a meatless dish or you can also use ground beef if you prefer
- cremini or button mushrooms
- diced tomatoes
- tomato sauce
- tomato paste
- dried oregano
- crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and black pepper
- fresh chopped basil
- avocado or olive oil
FOR THE GLUTEN FREE LASAGNA
- sliced zucchini noodles
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- cottage cheese (you can use whatever you have on hand: regular or low fat)
- ricotta cheese
HOW TO MAKE ZUCCHINI LASAGNA:
- HOW TO MAKE ZUCCHINI NOODLES: Cut zucchini slices using the ribbon blade of a spiralizer or a vegetable peeler; set aside. Pat dry with a paper towel. (This step can be done up to 3 days in advance. Store zucchini slices in an airtight container with a paper towel to help absorb excess moisture.)
MAKE THE MEAT SAUCE: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey and cook until browned, about 3-4 minutes, drain excess fat.
Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds to a minute or until fragrant then add the mushrooms and sliced zucchini. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Pour in tomato paste, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and add seasonings. Bring to a boil and reduce heat allowing to simmer.
- Layer in sliced zucchini noodles and cook until just softened.
- Remove from heat and layer in the shredded mozzarella cheese and cottage cheese.
- Top with dollops of ricotta cheese and cook until cheese has melted.
- Remove from stove and sprinkle with chopped fresh basil.
Helpful make-head tips & tricks for the perfect lasagna:
- Prep the zoodles up to 3-4 days in advance by storing them in an air-tight sealed container in the fridge
- To avoid a runny and soggy sauce, it helps to pat them down with a paper towel after you’ve spiralized them to remove some of that extra moisture that zucchini tend to have.
- You can even keep this entirely meatless and add sliced mushrooms instead.
- I made two batches, one with ground turkey and one with sauteed mushrooms and they both worked really well.
I used the same base as I did for my Easy Skinny Skillet Lasagna and just reduced the amount of water I added since the zucchini will release a lot of water on its own.
Can zucchini lasagna be frozen?
Yes, this low carb lasagna works great as a freezer meal. You can cook the meat sauce and prep the zucchini noodles in advance and store separately or store together in a casserole dish.
When you’re ready to reheat, remove from freezer and add a little bit more cheese on top. Preheat the oven to 375F, cover the casserole dish with foil and bake for 40-45 minutes.
IS ZUCCHINI LASAGNA HEALTHY?
This recipe for zucchini lasagna with meat sauce is a lightened up and healthier version of a lasagna dish you would find at traditional Italian restaurant. It’s gluten free, packed with veggies and is low in calories at just 282 calories per serving.
IS ZUCCHINI LASAGNA KETO?
The nutritional info for one serving of this gluten free lasagna recipe is:
- 282 calories
- 31g of protein
- 8 grams NET carbs: 12g Total Carbs – 4g Fiber
- 10g of fat
REASONS WE LOVE THIS GLUTEN FREE LASAGNA NOODLES RECIPE:
- easy to make
- a one pan 30 minute dinner recipe
- sugar free, gluten free, grain free, low carb, keto and diabetic friendly
- healthier comfort food
Ever since switching to a mainly grain free low carb diet, I love making veggie noodles. You can use either a vegetable peeler to get them into the wider ribbons which resembles the lasagna pasta more.
My husband even says this is one of the best keto dinners that I make. He is not usually a fan of zucchini noodles so I’m so glad that this checks off all of those boxes for him.
If you’re looking for a comforting dish that’s low in carbs and still full of flavor, this lasagna zoodles may be your new favorite way to enjoy lasagna.
More zucchini recipes you might like:
This Zucchini Lasagna is an easy low carb keto lasagna using zucchini noodles in place of traditional wheat pasta. Gluten free & made in one pot in 30 minutes and is perfect for busy weeknights.
- 1/2 - 1 lb extra-lean ground turkey , omit if you want to keep this a meatless dish
- 1/2 cup cremini or button mushrooms , sliced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic , minced
- 1/2 tablespoon avocado or olive oil
- 5-6 medium zucchini , peeled
- 1 (14.5-ounce can) diced tomatoes
- 1 (8-ounce can) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1.5 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes , to taste
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2.5 Tablespoons fresh chopped basil , divided
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2/3 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1/3 cup low-fat ricotta cheese for garnish optional
- sprinkle of parmesan cheese for garnish optional
- 1-1/2 - 2 cups spinach , chopped
- 2 medium zucchini , peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup water , reserved as needed
- Spiralize zucchini using the ribbon blade or a vegetable peeler; set aside. Pat dry with a paper towel. (This step can be done up to 3 days in advance. Simply store zoodles in an airtight container with a paper towel to help absorb excess moisture.)
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add in the ground meat and cook until browned, about 3-4 minutes, making sure to crumble and break down into small pieces as it cooks; drain excess fat.
- Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds to a minute or until fragrant. Add mushrooms and optional chopped zucchini, if using and saute for 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, red pepper flakes and 1 tablespoon of basil. Bring to a boil and reduce heat allowing to simmer. Stir constantly until sauce begins to thicken (about 5 minutes).
- Add the ribboned zucchini noodles and cover with lid.
- After 2 minutes, remove the cover, swirl the zucchini around using tongs to avoid sticking to the pan.
- Continue cooking until zucchini is tender (another 2-5 minutes). If adding spinach, stir in after 3 minutes and cover.
- Remove from heat and stir in mozzarella and cottage cheese. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Top with dollops of ricotta cheese. Cover the pan and allow to sit for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from stove and sprinkle with chopped parsley, basil, and parmesan cheese if desired.
Add water as needed if the sauce is evaporating.
*If zucchini is letting out too much water, mix 2 teaspoons cornstarch with 2 teaspoon of cold water in a small cup. Add to the pan before adding the cottage cheese. Bring to a boil to allow sauce to thicken up. Add cottage cheese as directed above.