This amazing recipe teaches anyone how to make homemade playdough, and it is made WITHOUT cream of tartar! Because we could not go to the store to get Play-Doh, we decided to get creative and make our own. You will love this recipe that only uses a handful of ingredients that can be found around the house.
With so many schools closed and students being encouraged to continue learning at home, parents are likely looking for ways to keep their kids learning and entertained. If you have younger kids, making your own playdough at home is a fun activity that they can for when they’re stuck inside.
Our easy playdough recipe uses Kool-Aid for vivid colors making it totally nontoxic and fun to create at home. The kids will truly love this exciting and simple playdough recipe as it smells and feels amazing!
The options for colorful playdough are limitless because pastel and vivid colors can be created. Just adjust the amount of Kool-Aid for your homemade playdough recipe to create the shade of color desired.
WHAT DO I NEED FOR THIS HOMEMADE PLAYDOUGH WITHOUT CREAM OF TARTAR?
- all purpose flour
- lemon juice or vinegar
- Kool-Aid packet OR freeze-dried berries
- Mixing container
- Ziploc bag or airtight container
- Wax or parchment paper
- Essential oil of choice (optional)- we like lavender!
HOW TO MAKE PLAYDOUGH AT HOME
This homemade playdough recipe is incredibly simple! Our kids love to help us while we stand at the stovetop preparing this irresistibly soft mixture. In this section, we will guide you through the steps of this easy recipe.
- In a small saucepan, gently warm the oil, water, and lemon juice and essential oil with medium to low heat. Add desired food coloring, like a Kool-Aid packets.
- In the meantime, fold together the flour and salt. Right before the liquid gets to a rolling boil, slowly add the flour mixture. Be sure to get all of the clumps out.
- Stir and stir until the dough forms into a ball, getting the substance off of each side. The end result will be smooth and not sticky. Be careful not to burn.
- Remove dough from heat and allow to cool.
NOTES FOR HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE PLAYDOUGH WITHOUT CREAM OF TARTAR
- It takes a little bit of time for the playdough to not be sticky. Just continue to stir the mixture over low-heat until the desired consistency is formed.
- If the playdough gets a little dry, just add a couple droplets of water until it gets smooth again.
- Store in Ziploc bag or container until ready to play with!
HOW CAN ME AND THE KIDS PLAY WITH THIS HOMEMADE PLAYDOUGH?
We definitely understand the importance of activities that are both fun and stimulating while home with the kids. The entire family will seriously love this fun and colorful playdough! It is great for rolling and shaping into various creatures or objects.
Do you happen to have any glitter lying around the house? This playdough can easily transform into a galaxy by pouring some glitter into it! If you do not have any glitter, then consider adding various beads or gems to this fun activity! Under supervision of course.
We really love this galaxy playdough recipe! This recipe DOES use cream of tartar, though, so keep that in mind.
PLAYDOUGH STRENGTHENS HANDS AND IS SENSORY FRIENDLY
This homemade playdough is great for relaxing and engaging the muscles in tiny hands. Not only does this stuff feel like a cloud, but it encourages fine motor skills and imaginative play. Take turns experiencing the calming properties of this playdough by sculpting different characters and bringing imaginations to life.
Looking for an educational activity? Simply have kids sculp the playdough into numbers and letters! Just like store bought Play-Doh, this homemade playdough works perfectly with tiny tools like toy scissors, pizza cutters, and cookie cutters.
HOW DO I STORE THIS HOMEMADE PLAYDOUGH WITHOUT CREAM OF TARTAR?
Just store this playdough without cream of tartar by wrapping it in wax paper and placing on the counter. No worries if the playdough happens to harden just a bit, a couple droplets of water will help dampen it. Do not place this stuff in the refrigerator!
Another way to store this playdough is by putting it in a Ziploc bag or airtight container.
Staying home with the kids?
Be sure to check out these other family-friendly posts we have created for you and the entire family.
This homemade and edible playdough is so easy to make and does not require cream of tartar! Made with just a handful of basic ingredients, this playdough recipe is perfect for kids at home!
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 tablespoons vinegar or lemon juice
- 3/4 cups water
- 2 packets Kool-Aid for extra vibrancy
In a small saucepan, gently warm the oil, water, and lemon juice and essential oil with medium to low heat. Add desired food coloring, like a Kool-Aid packet.
In the meantime, fold together the flour and salt. Right before the liquid gets to a rolling boil, slowly add the flour mixture. Be sure to get all of the clumps out.
Stir and stir until the dough forms into a ball, getting the substance off of each side. The end result will be smooth and not sticky. Be careful not to burn
.Remove dough from heat and allow to cool.
- The playdough will start off being very sticky. Just keep stirring over low-heat.
- Store in wax paper or Ziploc bag.
- If playdough feels dry, just add a couple droplets of water.