This healthy Ricotta Toast has got your back whenever you want a quick and easy breakfast! All you have to do is whip the ricotta, spread it on your toast and load it up with your favorite toppings. Vegan, dairy-free, grain-free, gluten-free, paleo and keto options!
Quick & Easy Whipped Ricotta Toast Recipe
Ricotta toast is a trendy breakfast, snack or light lunch that we can’t get enough of. It’s so easy to make with just 2 ingredients, and there are tons of amazing toppings you can add to it! With this versatile recipe in your toolbox, you’ll never get tired of toast again.
We like to use almond milk ricotta and grain-free bread to keep this dish dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan and paleo-friendly, but you can use any bread and ricotta you have on hand. Depending on the ingredients you use, this recipe can easily accommodate any dietary restrictions you’re working with. It’s time to take your toast game to the next level!
What You’ll Need
Before we discuss how to make this toast and highlight some of our go-to toppings, let’s jump into the base ingredients.
- Ricotta Cheese: We use Kite Hill’s Almond Milk Ricotta. Feel free to purchase ricotta cheese made with regular milk if you’re not dairy-free or vegan. You could also make your own!
- Bread: If you don’t have any allergies or dietary restrictions, you can use any crusty bread of your choice. We like Base Culture’s Keto Bread. California Country Gal sells a bunch of good diet-friendly breads as well.
How to Make Ricotta Toast
There are a couple of different ways you can go about whipping your ricotta. You can either do it with a food processor or use a bowl and a whisk.
Whip Ricotta: Place the ricotta in a food processor and blend until it’s smooth, about 1-2 minutes. Alternatively, you can whisk it by hand or with an electric mixer for 1 minute, until it’s smooth and spreadable.
Toast Bread: Toast your bread until it’s golden. Let it cool slightly.
Assemble: Spread a generous amount of the whipped ricotta onto each piece of bread. Add your desired toppings and enjoy!
Tips for Success
I have a few little tips and suggestions that will help you make the perfect ricotta toast. Here they are!
- Use High-Quality Bread: You’re probably going to get the best results if you buy a fresh artisan-style loaf or boule from your local bakery. That being said, any type of bread will work.
- Season Your Ricotta: Want to add extra flavor to your cheese? Feel free to throw in some grated parmesan and a touch of nutmeg or black pepper before you whip it.
- Let the Bread Cool Slightly: It’s a good idea to give your bread a couple minutes to cool so that your ricotta doesn’t melt all over the place. If you add it while the bread is too hot, your toast could develop a soggy surface underneath the cheese.
Crave-Worthy Topping Combinations
Don’t be afraid to get creative when you’re adding toppings to ricotta toast – sweet and savory flavors both taste great with it! Below you’ll find some of our favorite ways to finish it off.
- Tomato Basil: Make a true Italian dish by topping your toast with sliced grape or cherry tomatoes and a few fresh basil leaves. You can chop up the basil and sprinkle it on if preferred.
- Almond Fig: Try adding sliced figs, slivered almonds and some maple syrup to your toast! Any liquid sweetener that works with your diet can be used in place of the maple syrup, such as agave or honey.
- Blueberry Bliss: If you happen to have some fresh blueberries in your fridge, I highly recommend using them to top your toast. Drizzle on your favorite liquid sweetener while you’re at it!
- Avocado: Sometimes we have trouble deciding between ricotta toast and avocado toast. Luckily, we can choose both! Adding sliced avocado to ricotta toast is always a good idea. Season it up with a sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper.
- Honey Nut: You can never go wrong with chopped walnuts, sliced almonds and a drizzle of your favorite sweetener. The crunchy-creamy combo is divine!
- Berry Blast: Juicy blackberries and strawberries hold a special place in our hearts. We love adding them to this toast along with a little bit of maple syrup for good measure. Yum!
What to Serve with Ricotta Toast
Wondering what pairs well with this creamy, cheesy toast? The options are infinite, but let’s focus on just a few.
- Whipped Coffee: Whipped ricotta toast and Whipped Coffee? Now that’s a breakfast I can get behind. If you’re looking for a new way to enjoy your morning cup of joe, you really have to try this trendy drink.
- Sweet Potato Hash: Loaded with bacon, eggs, veggies and more, this Sweet Potato Hash is the definition of healthy comfort food. It tastes great alongside any kind of ricotta toast!
- Egg Muffins: These fluffy Egg Muffins can cater to all of your specific dietary needs. They’re loaded with protein and incredibly easy to make.
- Hot Chocolate: Cozying up with a mug of Vegan Hot Chocolate and a few slices of ricotta toast will instantly improve your day. Is it snack time yet?
Can I Make This in Advance?
If you’d like, you can whip your ricotta a day or two ahead of time and keep it in an airtight container in the fridge. I don’t recommend toasting your bread in advance.
More Healthy Breakfast Ideas
It’s important to start your day with a nutritious breakfast, and it’s also nice if it’s delicious. The following recipes deliver on both!
Whenever you want a quick and easy breakfast, this healthy Ricotta Toast has got your back! All you have to do is whip the ricotta, spread it onto your toast and load it up with your favorite toppings.
- sliced peaches
- sliced strawberries
- fresh blueberries, blackberries or raspberries
- sliced figs
- avocado slices
- halved grape tomatoes or sliced heirloom tomatoes
- sticky liquid sweetener such as maple syrup, date syrup, coconut nectar syrup, yacon, organic agave syrup, honey, etc.
- chopped nuts
- chopped fresh herbs or microgreens
Place the ricotta in a food processor and process until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Alternatively, whisk by hand (or use a mixer) for a minute until the ricotta is smooth and spreadable.
Toast bread slices until golden and let cool slightly. Spread on a generous amount of whipped ricotta. Add toppings of choice and enjoy.
Nutrition info applies to Grain-Free Rustic Bread and whipped almond milk ricotta with no toppings.