Slow Cooker Orange Glazed Carrots make the perfect easy side dish for lunch or dinner. Best of all, this easy recipe is made with fresh orange flavors and cooks entirely in your crock-pot. Whole30, vegan, paleo, and vegetarian friendly.
Slow Cooker Orange Glazed Carrots
When life gets busy, easy slow cooker dishes are perfect for saving the day. I posted these Slow Cooker Orange Ginger Glazed Carrots during the holidays over on the KitchenAid blog where I am a regular contributor and thought I’d share them over here. You know, just in case life’s been busy and you’re looking for some easy side dish ideas too.
We love these slow cooker carrots because of how minimal and mess free they are. Delicious either as a side dish or by themselves, this Whole30 friendly recipe would taste amazing with our Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters, Air Fryer Tofu, or Vegan Stuffed Peppers.
Why You Should Make This Recipe
These cooked carrots are super simple and easy to prep in advance. Just slice them up and toss them into your slow cooker along with the sweet and sticky optional glaze. Soft and tender after a few hours, this easy recipe is infused with a sweet and flavorful orange and ginger glaze.
To see the rest of the side dishes I shared on the KitchenAid blog, you can check them out HERE!
Ingredients For Slow Cooker Carrots
- Oil- like coconut or avocado oil
- Sweetener– maple syrup, coconut sugar, or Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener
- Orange juice- freshly squeezed for fresh flavors
- Orange zest- freshly grated for an enhanced citrus flavor
- Ginger- ground ginger; can also substitute with freshly grated ginger
- Salt- sea salt for extra seasoning
- Carrots- peeled and sliced
- Parsley- freshly chopped parsley for garnishment and extra flavor
How to Make Slow Cooker Orange Glazed Carrots
- COMBINE: Add the melted coconut oil, honey, orange juice, orange zest, ginger, and salt to your slow cooker and whisk to combine. Stir in the carrots and toss to coat well.
- COOK: Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours OR high for 2-3 hours, or until carrots are tender, stirring once halfway through.
- FOR THE GLAZE: To thicken up glaze, stir in the cornstarch slurry about 20-30 minutes before serving. Cook on HIGH for 20-30 minutes, or until thickened.
- SERVE: Remove the carrots, using a slotted spoon, and place in a serving bowl. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve warm.
- You can slice the carrots the day before and store them into zip-top freezer bags in the fridge
- Make the glaze ahead of time and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
To store these slow cooker carrots, then simply transfer them to an airtight container and place in the refrigerator. These carrots will remain fresh in the refrigerator for up to four days.
If you would like to freeze these carrots, then place them in a freezer safe bag or container. Arrange carrots in a single layer in container and freeze for up to four months. When ready to enjoy the leftovers, allow the carrots to thaw in the refrigerator overnight and warm them in the microwave.
What are the benefits of cooking with a slow cooker?
These benefits for cooking with a slow cooker are endless! Not only is cooking with a slow cooker super mess free, but it is just so easy. We love cooking with these magical kitchen gadgets because we get to dump our food and just walk away. Before we know it, dinner is ready. Slow cookers are great for any busy or slow lifestyle.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
Slow Cooker Orange Glazed Carrots make the perfect easy side. Best of all it frees up your oven and an easy set and forget recipe!
- 3 Tablespoons neutral oil coconut or avocado oil; can substitute with butter
- 1/3 cup maple syrup can substitute with Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener or coconut sugar
- 1 Tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger or 2 teaspoons ginger; freshly grated
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 pounds carrots peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch or arrowstarch + 2 teaspoons water
Add the melted oil or butter, sweetener, orange juice, orange zest, ginger, and salt to your slow cooker and whisk to combine. Stir in the carrots and toss to coat well.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours OR high for 2-3 hours, or until carrots are tender, stirring once halfway through.
- OPTIONALTo thicken up glaze, stir in the cornstarch slurry about 20-30 minutes before serving. Cook on HIGH for 20-30 minutes, or until thickened.
- Remove the carrots, using a slotted spoon, and place in a serving bowl. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve warm.