Perfectly Soft Frosted Eggnog Cookies are the perfect festive cookies for the holidays. Best of all, loaded with holiday spices, eggnog topped with a creamy frosting and festive sprinkles.
We go a little bit overboard with holiday baking around here. Holiday cut-out sugar cookies, gingerbread cookies, shortbread cookies, snowballs and these Glazed Eggnog Shortbread Cookies are a favorite around here.
So I had to add one more version I’ve been dying to try to our holiday cookie platter this year.
SOFT FROSTED EGGNOG COOKIES
These Frosted Eggnog Cookies have just the right amount of the holiday flavor mixed in the cookie dough as well as the frosting. The hint of cinnamon and nutmeg bring out the warmness of the eggnog without overpowering it.
The cookies are wonderfully soft, fluffy and melt-in-your mouth good. The light, creamy eggnog frosting comes together easily in one bowl and gives the cookies the perfect festive touch.
I wrapped these up for a friend’s holiday party and everyone was slightly obsessed with the melt-away texture and warm spices.
The festive sprinkles make them the perfect addition to any holiday gathering or on Santa’s cookie plate.
More holiday treats:
Soft Frosted Eggnog Cookies
Soft Frosted Eggnog Cookies with holiday spices, eggnog topped with a creamy frosting.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, measured correctly (spoon and sweetp/level method)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract (optional)
- 1/4 cup eggnog
- 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons eggnog
- 1/4 teaspoon rum extract (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer, cream butter and sugars together for about 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk, vanilla, rum extract and eggnog, until combined.
- Turn mixer to low and slowly add the dry ingredients, until just combined. Scoop about 1 1/2 tablespoonful and drop onto prepared baking sheets 2-inches apart. Place one baking sheet in the fridge to chill while you bake the other.
- Bake one sheet at a time in preheated oven for 10 - 12 minutes. Remove baking sheet from oven and allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. The cookies will continue to cook while cooling. Bake remaining cookies. Once cooled, spread with frosting and top with festive sprinkles, if desired.
- To make the frosting:
- Using a stand mixer or a hand mixer, cream butter for about 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Slowly add powdered sugar and beat until combined. Add rum extract (if using) and eggnog, one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency or flavor is reached. Taste and add cinnamon, nutmeg and rum extract, if desired. Beat for an addition two minutes smooth. Frost cooled cookies and add sprinkles if desired.
I'd love to see! Just snap a photo and hashtag it #LIFEMADESWEETER or tag me @lifemadesweeter on Instagram!