Classic Pecan Snowball Cookies are the perfect treat for your holiday cookie platter. Best of all, these popular favorites come together so easy. Made with a buttery, melt in your mouth shortbread base with chopped pecans and covered with powdered sugar.
Snowballs, Russian Tea Cakes, Mexican Wedding Cookies, Butterballs – these cookies have so many variations and names. No matter what you call them, they always remind me of Christmas and are a must for any cookie platter.
Every year I always have a ton of cookie recipes that I want to make but never seem to have enough time to getting around to baking them.
As much as I love trying new and exciting cookies like these No Bake German Chocolate Cake cookies or these Soft Frosted Eggnog Frosted Cookies …classic cookies (like holiday cut-out sugar cookies, shortbread or soft sugar cookies) really are the best!
These Classic Pecan Snowball Cookies start off with an easy buttery shortbread like dough. The great thing about these cookies is you can choose to add chopped pecans, walnuts or hazelnuts. I usually like to chill the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes to help them stay nice and round. Once they are baked, you roll them in some powdered sugar for the most poppable and addictive cookie.
They are perfect for any holiday cookie exchange and best of all, the recipe makes a big batch so it’s enough for everyone to share.
Don’t you think they look like the perfect little snowballs too? They’re simple and they taste amazing!
Classic Pecan Snowball Cookies
Classic Pecan Snowball Cookies are the perfect classic treat for your holiday cookie platter. They are buttery, melt in your mouth shortbread like cookies with chopped pecans.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 118kcal Calories from fat 72|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 8g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (measured correctly - spoon & sweep method)
- 3/4 - 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- More powdered sugar for rolling cookies - about 1/2 cup
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon mat. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer or using your hand mixer, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and slowly add flour and mix until just combined. Fold in chopped pecans. beating at low speed, scraping bowl as necessary, until well mixed.
- Roll dough into 2 tablespoon sized dough balls. Place on prepared cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Repeat until all the dough is used up. *I recommend chilling the dough for 30 minutes in the fridge so the cookies stay round but you can choose to bake them right away if desired.
- Bake cookies for 14 - 15 minutes until bottoms are just slightly brown - rotating pans halfway through. Be careful not to over-bake.
- Remove from oven and cool on baking pan for about 2 minutes until you can handle them comfortably with your hands.
- Meanwhile, sift 1/2 cup icing sugar into a medium bowl. While cookies are still warm, roll them in icing sugar. Place cookies on cooling rack, once they have cooled completely, roll them in icing sugar again.
- Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to one month.
Slightly adapted from Land O Lakes
I'd love to see! Just snap a photo and hashtag it #LIFEMADESWEETER or tag me @lifemadesweeter on Instagram!
More holiday cookies: