This Blueberry Banana Bread is moist, delicious and so easy to make with fresh juicy blueberries and ripe sweet bananas. It’s gluten-free, refined sugar-free, paleo-friendly and the perfect healthy breakfast snack or dessert.
Updated May 2023
Healthy Blueberry Banana Bread Recipe
Looking for a fresh and summery twist to your classic banana bread recipe? This Blueberry Banana Bread is a family favorite and perfect if you have ripe bananas sitting on your counter.
We buy a ton of bananas to freeze and always have some on hand to bake with and for smoothies. This quick bread recipe starts off with our Paleo Banana Bread recipe and comes together easily in one bowl with no mixer. Plus, it’s also grain-free, gluten-free, paleo-friendly, refined sugar free and includes a low carb keto sweetener option.
Why we love this recipe
This healthy banana and blueberry loaf is not only healthy, but you can also customize it to fit your dietary needs!
- easy to make with simple wholesome ingredients you most likely have in your kitchen pantry
- one bowl recipe with no mixer required
- grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar free and paleo-friendly
Ingredients you need
Most Banana and Blueberry Bread recipes typically call for a combination of all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, sour cream, yogurt and / or butter. Since we are trying to keep this blueberry banana bread gluten free, you will need:
Dry Ingredients for Paleo Blueberry Banana Bread
- Almond Flour: Be sure to use superfine blanched almond flour and not almond meal. Almond flour is the main nut flour providing most of the bulk. Measure properly using the spoon and level method. If you prefer a nut-free version, you can try subbing with gluten-free oat flour but we have not tested this version so the texture and taste will differ from the original.
- Coconut flour: This gluten free flour provides structure to paleo breads and absorbs moisture so be sure to fluff it out before measuring. When combined with almond flour, it balances out the flavor of gluten free breads to mimic all purpose flour. If you prefer a coconut-free version, you can try subbing with tapioca flour / starch or arrowroot / starch flour but we have not tested this version so the texture and taste will differ from the original.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda: this combination of leavening powders helps the bread rise. Be sure to use gluten-free baking powders without corn starch if you want to keep this healthy quick bread recipe paleo
- Just a pinch of fine sea salt – balances out the sweetness and enhances the flavors.
- Bananas – be sure to use brown spotty bananas to make this healthy banana bread moist and delicious
- Melted coconut oil: makes the gluten free blueberry banana bread tender and moist and adds a light coconut flavor. You can also use any other neutral flavored oil, melted butter or ghee if you are not dairy-free.
- Eggs: help to give the bread structure and bind everything together.
- Coconut sugar: a lower glycemic sweetener that mimics the taste of brown sugar. You can also sub with golden monk fruit sweetener or another brown sugar substitute for Low Carb Blueberry Banana Bread
- Ground Cinnamon and Vanilla extract: makes the bread delicious and enhances the flavors of the other ingredients
- Fresh blueberries: Fresh blueberries work best in this recipe. If you only have frozen blueberries, do not thaw and toss frozen blueberries directly to the batter. You may need to add another 2 Tablespoons of almond flour to the recipe, and extend the bake time
How To Make Blueberry Banana Bread
- PREP THE BAKING PAN: Preheat oven to 350F. Line your 8.5 x 4.5 loaf pan with parchment paper or spray it with cooking spray before you begin. This will ensure that your bread won’t stick to the pan once it comes out of the oven.
- MIX THE WET INGREDIENTS: In a large bowl, use a fork to mash the bananas well. Add the eggs, maple syrup, coconut sugar, coconu
- ADD THE DRY INGREDIENTS: Place a large mesh sieve on top of the bowl, and sift in the baking powder, baking soda, almond flour, coconut flour, cinnamon and salt. Stir until combined.
- ADD BLUEBERRIES AND TRANSFER TO PAN: Fold in 2/3 cup of the blueberries then transfer the batter to the loaf pan spreading out evenly. Sprinkle the remaining blueberries on top.
- BAKE THE LOAF: Bake for 48-54 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven & cool completely before cutting into slices.
- The batter will need to bake for 39 to 46 minutes, and you can tell it’s ready when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- COOL BREAD: Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes in the loaf pan. Remove from loaf pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Drizzle with a Lemon Glaze to add a sweet bright flavor
- Make a Banana Blueberry Bread with Streusel Topping: combine 1 teaspoon of cinnamon with maple sugar (or low carb sweetener of choice) and sprinkle over the top of the blueberry bread batter before baking.
- Add some dairy-free or vegan chocolate chips, shredded coconut or some chopped nuts for an added crunch
Can this banana bread recipe be made into muffins?
Yes, to make blueberry banana muffins, simply divide the batter evenly into muffin pans. Or you can even divide the batter into mini loaf pans for mini bread loaves.
Tips for The Best Blueberry Banana Loaf
- Be sure to sift your dry ingredients prior to adding to the batter
- Let Bread Cool Before Slicing: If your bread hasn’t completely cooled before you slice it, it could be too crumbly. Let it cool before serving so it’s nice and firm.
- If you don’t need the bread to be dairy free, you can use ghee or regular butter instead of coconut oil. Either way, the bread will come out soft, moist and delicious!
- Fresh blueberries work best in this recipe. If you only have frozen blueberries, do not thaw and toss frozen blueberries directly to the batter. You may need to add another 2 Tablespoons of almond flour to the recipe, and extend the bake time.
What can you serve with banana bread?
My family thinks this is the best banana bread and would be happy to enjoy a thick slice of this banana bread as is with a cup of tea or coffee. But it would also be amazing with a big pat of butter or smeared with some almond butter and jam.
Storage and freezer instructions
Transfer your blueberry bread into an airtight container or bag. Store in the refrigerator for up to four days.
When ready to enjoy this gluten-free blueberry banana bread, serve cold or warm in the microwave!
How to freeze blueberry banana bread?
If you want to store the paleo blueberry banana loaf for a future date, you can freeze it for around three to four months. Simply wrap the entire loaf or the each individual slice with plastic wrap, then place in a resealable bag or an airtight container with a lid and freeze for up to 2 months.
To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator or counter and reheat in the oven or microwave.
More blueberry recipes you might like:
Low Carb Blueberry Muffins
Gluten Free Blueberry Cookies
Recommended Tools You’ll Need For this Recipe:
Top view of two slices of blueberry banana bread on a white plate
- 2 small ripe bananas , about 3/4 cup mashed bananas
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoon pure maple syrup , or preferred sticky liquid sweetener of choice
- 2 tablespoon coconut sugar , or preferred granulated brown sugar substitute of choice
- 3 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup drippy unsalted almond butter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup superfine almond flour , if you prefer a nut-free version, you can try subbing with gluten-free oat flour but we have not tested this version so the texture and taste will differ from the original.
- ¼ cup coconut flour , if you prefer a coconut-free version, you can try subbing with tapioca flour / starch or arrowroot / starch flour but we have not tested this version so the texture and taste will differ from the original.
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup fresh blueberries , divided
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and line a 8x4 loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, use a fork to mash the bananas well. Add the eggs, maple syrup, coconut sugar, coconut oil and almond butter and whisk until smooth and well combined.
- Place a large mesh sieve on top of the bowl, and sift in the baking powder, baking soda, almond flour, coconut flour, cinnamon and salt. Stir until combined. Fold in 2/3 cup of the blueberries.
- Transfer the batter to the loaf pan spreading out evenly. Sprinkle the remaining blueberries on top.
- Bake for 48-54 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven & cool completely before cutting into slices.