This Buffalo Chicken Dip is creamy, flavorful and always a crowd-pleaser blending shredded chicken, vegan alternatives, and a kick of zesty buffalo sauce. It’s packed with protein and perfect for game day with your favorite tortilla chips for your party platter.
Updated February 2024
Creamy Hot Buffalo Chicken Dip: A Spicy Twist to Your Party Platter
Are you ready to elevate your game day or party snack spread? This Buffalo Chicken Dip is a warm and cozy dip with the perfect blend of spicy, creamy, and savory flavors. It’s a total crowd-pleaser and has the smoothest, creamiest texture even though it’s made without any dairy or gluten, and will have your guests coming back for more.
Packed with shredded chicken, vegan alternatives, and a kick of buffalo sauce, this dip is a crowd-pleaser that caters to various dietary preferences. You won’t even notice the difference and the best part is that it’s also gluten-free!
Ingredients You’ll Need for the Perfect Buffalo Chicken Dip
Let’s get started on this crowd-favorite snack by collecting all of its ingredients.
- Shredded Cooked Chicken: Tender and succulent, this forms the base of our dip. You can cook your chicken ahead by boiling it, making it in the slow cooker or your instant pot. Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for a lean option, or opt for the convenience of rotisserie chicken.
- Vegan Greek-Style Yogurt: Adds creaminess and flavor in place of sour cream. We recommend Kite Hill for a dairy-free alternative. However, feel free to use regular Greek yogurt if dairy is not a concern.
- Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Sauce: The star of the show, adding that signature kick. Use your preferred buffalo sauce for a personalized touch.
- Zucchini: While optional, adding peeled and chopped zucchini not only introduces extra texture but also brings a touch of green to the mix.
- Vegan Cheddar and Mozzarella Style Cheese: We love Violife or Treeline for their plant-based options. Non-vegans can easily substitute with their favorite regular cheeses.
- Fine Sea Salt and Cracked Black Pepper: Season to taste for that perfect balance of flavors.
- Chopped Fresh Chives: A finishing touch that adds a burst of freshness to the dip.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
This easy buffalo wing dip is practically effortless! It starts off in a food processor before it moves over to the oven.
- Heat Oven: Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Add the ingredients to a food processor: Add chicken, yogurt, buffalo sauce, zucchini, ⅔ of both cheeses and black pepper to a food processor.
- Blend: Process until combined and slightly chunky. You can add 1-2 tbsp water to loosen a little if needed.
- Bake: Transfer the dip to a medium/large oval or rectangular baking dish. Top it with the remaining cheese and bake it for 15-20 minutes, or until it’s hot and bubbly and the cheese is melty.
- Garnish & Serve: Allow the dip to cool down for 10 minutes to set. Sprinkle with chopped chives and freshly cracked black pepper, then serve it with your favorite chips or veggies.
Tips for Success: Making the Perfect Buffalo Chicken Dip
Want some more advice before you tackle this gluten free buffalo dip? We’ve got you covered.
- Turn Up the Heat: Want more of that spicy goodness in your sauce? Go ahead and add in some cayenne pepper. You could also use smoked paprika if preferred.
- Make it Sweeter: If you’d like a sweeter buffalo sauce, feel free to whisk or blend in a little bit of maple syrup or use any other liquid sweetener of choice.
- Pulse According to Your Preference: If you prefer smaller chunks, blend them into the dip for longer. Do the opposite if you like larger chunks.
- Use a Food Processor: Achieve the ideal consistency by blending the ingredients in a food processor. Aim for a slightly chunky texture, but feel free to add a splash of water if needed.
- Layering Matters: For a gooey, melty texture, layer the dip in a medium/large oval or rectangular baking dish. Top it off with a generous amount of cheese.
- Watch the Oven: Bake at 400F for 15-20 minutes or until the dip is hot, bubbly, and the cheese is beautifully melted. Keep an eye on it to prevent overcooking.
Variations to Ignite Your Taste Buds
- Spice It Up: Adjust the level of heat by increasing or decreasing the amount of buffalo sauce.
- Cheese Choices: Experiment with different cheeses, whether vegan or regular, to customize the flavor profile.
- Protein Alternatives: For a plant-based twist, swap out the chicken for soy curls or textured vegetable protein. Get creative with your favorite plant-based protein source!
- Blue Cheese Bonanza: For the classic buffalo wing experience, incorporate crumbled blue cheese into the dip or sprinkle it on top before baking.
- Ranch Infusion: Mix in a few tablespoons of ranch dressing for a cool and creamy twist that complements the spicy kick of buffalo sauce.
- Jalapeño Jazz: Amp up the heat by adding finely diced jalapeños to the blend. This variation is not for the faint of heart but perfect for spice enthusiasts.
- Tex-Mex Fiesta: Introduce a Tex-Mex flair by incorporating diced green chilies, black beans, and corn. Top with fresh cilantro for a burst of color and flavor.
Serving Suggestions: Dip into Delight
You can use this tasty dip however your heart desires. The versatile nature of this dip makes it suitable for any occasion. Here are some solid ideas!
- Dip Tortilla or Pita Chips Into it (use gluten-free if needed)
- Spread it Onto a Toasted Baguette
- Dip Fresh Veggies Into it
- Use it as a Pizza Sauce
- Put it in a Bread Bowl (gluten-free if needed)
- Sandwich it Between Two Cucumber Slices
- Slider Sensation: Transform leftovers into a slider filling. Spoon the dip onto slider buns and broil for a mouthwatering mini-sandwich experience.
- Stuffed Peppers: Hollow out bell peppers, stuff them with Buffalo Chicken Dip, and bake until bubbly. It’s a creative and delicious appetizer or party snack.
- Pizza Topping Surprise: Spread a generous layer of the dip over pizza dough, add your favorite toppings, and bake for a Buffalo Chicken Pizza that will be the star of any pizza night.
- Breakfast Burrito Bliss: Roll the dip into tortillas for a unique breakfast burrito twist. Add scrambled eggs and veggies for a morning indulgence.
Storage and Reheating
- Storage: If you somehow manage to have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Once your healthy buffalo dip has fully cooled, transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate it. It will stay good for up to 4 days.
- Reheat: Reheat large quantities in a 350°F oven until the dip is hot. Individual servings can be microwaved.
- Freezer: For longer storage, transfer the cooled dip to a freezer-safe container, leaving at least two inches of space at the top. This extra room will allow the dip to expand as it freezes without harming the container. Enjoy the frozen buffalo dip within 3 months, thawing it out in the fridge overnight before reheating it.
FAQs: Unraveling the Mysteries of Buffalo Chicken Dip
Q: Can I make this dip ahead of time?
A: Absolutely! Prepare the dip up to a day in advance, refrigerate, and bake when you’re ready to serve. This makes party planning a breeze.
Q: Can I use a different protein source?
A: Certainly! Swap out chicken for ground turkey, shredded beef, or even canned chickpeas for a vegetarian twist. The flavor possibilities are endless.
Q: How can I adjust the spice level?
A: To control the heat, start with a smaller amount of buffalo sauce and taste before adding more. You can also balance the spice with extra yogurt or a dollop of sour cream.
Q: Can I freeze Buffalo Chicken Dip?
A: While it’s best enjoyed fresh, you can freeze the unbaked dip in a freezer-safe container. Allow it to thaw before baking for optimal texture.
More Cozy Dips to Try
We’re always down to dig into a cozy homemade dip. Here are some of our favorites!
This Buffalo Chicken Dip is creamy, flavorful and always a crowd-pleaser blending shredded chicken, vegan alternatives, and a kick of zesty buffalo sauce. It's packed with protein and perfect for game day with your favorite tortilla chips for your party platter.
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups shredded cooked chicken , about 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, boiled / cooked in the Instant Pot or slow cooker. Feel free to use rotisserie chicken for easier prep. If you're looking for a plant-based option, you can sub with soy curls (prepared according to package directions), textured vegetable protein (prepared according to package directions) or your favorite plant-based protein.
- ½ cup vegan greek-style yogurt , we recommend brands such as Kite Hill. Culina or Cocojune. You can also sub with regular greek yogurt if you're not dairy-free.
- ¼ cup Frank's Red Hot Buffalo sauce , or preferred buffalo sauce
- 1 zucchini , peeled and chopped. Optional but adds extra texture and added greens.
- ½ cup vegan cheddar style cheese grated. We like Violife or Treeline. You can also sub with regular cheese if you're not dairy-free.
- ½ cup vegan mozzarella style cheese grated. We like Violife or Treeline. Yu can also sub with regular cheese if you're not dairy-free.
- Fine sea salt to taste
- Cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chive for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
Add the shredded chicken, yogurt, buffalo sauce, zucchini, ⅔ of both cheeses, salt and black pepper to a food processor.
Blend until combined and slightly chunky. You can add 1-2 tbsp water to loosen a little if needed.
Transfer the dip to a medium/large oval or rectangular baking dish. Top it with the remaining cheese and bake it for 15-20 minutes, or until it's hot and bubbly and the cheese is melty.
Allow the dip to cool and firm up for 10 minutes, then top with chopped chives and serve with favorite chips or veggies.
- To Store & Reheat: Refrigerate cooled dip in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Reheat large quantities in a 350°F oven until hot. Individual servings can be microwaved.
- To Freeze: Transfer cooled dip to a freezer-safe container, leaving at least two inches of extra space. Enjoy within 3 months, thawing in the fridge overnight before reheating.