These Sauteed Green Beans are a quick and easy side dish with the most tender and delicious skillet green beans. Made in just one pan with just a few simple ingredients using fresh greens, garlic, salt and pepper and ready in just 15 minutes.
EASY GREEN BEAN RECIPES
Looking for an easy side dish for busy weeknights or to add to your Thanksgiving holiday table and Christmas potluck parties? These Sauteed Green Beans are not only a delicious option but they take no time at all to make! Plus, they’re made with just a few simple pantry ingredients and take just 15 minutes to make in one pan! If your family and friends love crispy sauteed green beans, these are sure to be a hit!
How To Prepare Green Beans
The great thing about haricots or string beans is that you can find fresh green beans all year round at your local grocery store. When choosing green beans, make sure to look for ones that have a nice bright color and are mostly free of blemishes. Before eating green beans, you’ll need to trim off the ends and then give them a good wash.
How to Trim Green Beans
To trim the green beans, you simply snip off the tops and tails off of each bean with either a sharp knife or scissors. For many of us, trimming green beans one by one is a tedious and never ending task.
A quicker way to trim green beans is:
- GRAB a sharp knife and a cutting board. Grab a handful of beans and line them up with your knife or your hand..
- PRESS your knife down at the tips and cut them all of at once.
- FLIP the beans to the other slide, line up the beans and trim off the tips.
- REPEAT with remaining beans.
- WASH the green beans by placing them in a large bowl in cold water with some sea salt. Let them sit for at least 15-20 minutes then rinse with cold water and dry them.
Ingredients you need:
- Fresh green beans
- avocado oil or olive oil
- garlic cloves
- fine sea salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- onion salt (optional but adds so much flavor – we get ours from Trader Joe’s)
- toasted almonds
- toasted pecans
- lemon wedges
How to make Sauteed Green Beans:
- HEAT PAN: Add the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the trimmed green beans and cook, stirring often, until the beans are bright and glossy and slightly brown.
- SEASON BEANS: Add the garlic and season with salt, black pepper and optional seasonings. Cook, stirring constantly, until the garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- STEAM: Add water and cover with lid. Cook for another 1-2 minutes until the beans are bright green and crisp-tender.
- SERVE: Season to taste as needed and serve with toasted nuts and lemon wedges, if desired.
Sauteed Green Bean Variations:
This easy sauteed green beans recipe makes a healthy side dish that is also naturally low carb, Whole30 compliant, keto and paleo-friendly. They make a healthier option for Thanksgiving than the traditional creamy green bean casserole with mushrooms.
The great thing about this skillet green recipe is that you can customize it according to what you have or like.
- Add some balsamic vinegar for that extra tang.
- You can also sprinkle some nutritional yeast OR grated Parmesan cheese if not dairy free.
- To make green beans with almonds, toast some sliced or slivered almonds and sprinkle in at the end
- For extra crispy green beans,
- If you like skillet green beans with bacon, add some cooked and crumble bacon at the end.
- Add some crushed red pepper for a little kick
However you decide to serve them, sauteed green beans are a simple and delicious side dish for any occasion.
And you can double the batch if you plan on making this side dish to add to your holiday table.
Can Sauteed Green Beans Be Frozen?
Yes! Store sauteed green beans in an airtight container and freeze for up to 6 months. You can also store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up 4 days. To make crispy green beans, you can also saute them with some oil over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes for to help them crisp up again.
Are Green Beans Keto?
Yes! Not only are green beans a healthy vegetable, they are also, paleo, Whole30, gluten free and can fit into a low carb keto lifestyle. The nutritional info for one serving of sauteed greens is:
- 98 calories
- 3g Net Carbs : 7g Total carbs – 4g Fiber
- 2g Protein
- 7g Fat
More green bean recipes:
These Sauteed Green Beans are a quick and easy side dish with the most tender and delicious skillet green beans. Made with just a few simple ingredients using fresh greens, garlic, salt and pepper and ready in just 15 minutes.
- 1 lb fresh green beans , washed, dried & ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil OR olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/3 teaspoon fine sea salt or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper or more to taste
- 1/8 tsp onion salt (we use the one from Trader Joe's) , optional but so delicious
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup toasted chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.
Add the trimmed green beans and cook, stirring often, until the beans are bright and glossy and slightly brown.
Add the garlic and season with salt, black pepper and optional seasonings. Cook, stirring constantly, until the garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add water and cover with lid. Cook for another 1-2 minutes until the beans are bright green and crisp-tender.
Season to taste as needed and serve with toasted nuts and lemon wedges, if desired.