Green shakshuka can be made in just one pan, and it comes together in hardly any time at all. Not only is it easy to make, but it is super dynamic in the flavor profiles. Each ingredient truly speaks for itself in this delicious recipe. Loaded with cremini mushrooms, fresh kale, and yummy spices, this recipe can be enjoyed for either breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Pantry-friendly and great for meal prep, this recipe is super easy to make. It’s perfect for breakfast if you typically wake up craving something savory. Plus, this healthy skillet recipe is also gluten-free, Whole30, low carb, keto and paleo-friendly.
How is traditional shakshuka different than green shakshuka?
Traditional shakshuka typically consists of tomatoes, eggs, cumin, cayenne, paprika, garlic, bell peppers, and onions. The cultural dish originates from the Mediterranean cultures, and it is usually red in color served with bread or rice.
This green shakshuka recipe is different because we have used kale and mushrooms in place of the tomatoes and bell peppers! Both versions of shakshuka are delicious as they are filled with aromatic spices. We like to pair avocado slices with our shakshuka.
What To Serve With This Healthy Breakfast Recipe
While green shakshuka is delicious on its own, it is also great served over a bed of cauliflower rice! Not only is this shakshuka yummy with rice, but it tastes wonderful when gluten-free breads are dipped in it, too.
Avocado is also a great and healthy option to pair with this green shakshuka recipe. Just slice some avocado into thin slices, and dip the slices into the shakshuka!
To Make Green Shakshuka, You Will Need These Ingredients:
- avocado oil
- cremini mushrooms
- smoked paprika
- dried oregano
- eggs (substitute canned chickpeas for a vegan shakshuka)
- salt & pepper
- avocado slices, for serving
Can I make this shakshuka plant-based?
Of course! This recipe can definitely become vegan as canned chickpeas are great to substitute with. To make this vegetarian recipe vegan, simply omit the eggs.
In place of the eggs, add 1 tablespoon of chickpeas into each well of the mixture and bake uncovered for 7-10 minutes.
How To Make Green Shakshuka
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-heat. Add diced onions and mushrooms and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add seasonings: Toss in garlic, spices, and cook for another minute or so. Stir in the kale, and season it with salt and pepper.
- Cook kale: Add 2 teaspoons water and cook until kale softens, about 1-2 minutes.
- Use a wooden spoon to create four small wells in the mixture and crack an egg into each one (add 1 Tbsp chickpeas into each well for vegan).
- Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake uncovered for 7-10 minutes, until the egg whites are set or until desired texture.
- Add fresh cracked black pepper & garnish with fresh herbs, micro-greens and serve with avocado as desired.
How To Store The Leftovers
This recipe is definitely leftover-friendly! Once the shakshuka has cooled off, transfer to an airtight container. Transfer the airtight container to the refrigerator and store for up to three days. If freezing, this recipe will last in the freezer for up to three months.
Other Global Recipes You Will Love
- Easy Cauliflower Rice
- Mediterranean Chicken Sliders
- Chicken Shawarma Salad
- Greek Chicken Souvlaki Bowls
- Creamy Thai Sweet Potato Curry by Pinch of Yum
This green shakshuka recipe is so good and ready in less than 30 minutes! Warm and filled with delicious pantry-friendly spices, this vegetarian recipe is healthy and flavorful all thanks to fresh kale and cremini mushrooms.
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped, plus more for garnishment
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 bunch kale de-stemmed, roughly chopped
- 4 eggs large, substitute 1/2 cup drained canned or cooked chickpeas for plant-based
- sea salt
- freshly cracked pepper
- micro-greens for garnishment, optional
- parsley for garnishment, optional
- Avocado slices for serving
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-heat. Add diced onions and mushrooms and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
Add garlic, spices, and cook for another minute or so. Stir in the kale, and season it with salt and pepper.Add 2 teaspoons water and cook until kale softens, about 1-2 minutes.
Use a wooden spoon to create four small wells in the mixture and crack an egg into each one (add 1 Tbsp chickpeas into each well for vegan).
Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake uncovered for 7-10 minutes, until the egg whites are set or until desired texture.
Add fresh cracked black pepper & garnish with fresh herbs, micro-greens and serve with avocado as desired.
*Substitute 1/2 cup of canned or cooked dried chickpeas for plant-based version