These Honey Garlic Chicken Wings are perfect for game day snacking with a blend of succulent chicken, sweet honey, zesty garlic, and optional Sriracha for a winning touchdown on your taste buds. This chicken wing recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser and game-changer if you’re craving bold flavors for your next party!
Updated February 2024
Honey Garlic Chicken Wings: A Flavorful Twist to a Classic Dish
Are you gearing up for the biggest game day of the year and wondering what to serve your hungry crowd? Elevate your Super Bowl spread with these Honey Garlic Chicken Wings. They are a surefire way to score a touchdown with your guests with the perfect fusion of flavors that will tantalize your taste buds. This chicken wing recipe combines the sweetness of honey, the kick of Sriracha, the savory goodness of garlic, and the zesty lime juice adds a refreshing kick, making these wings a standout choice for game day snacking.
Whether you’re a fan of crispy baked wings or prefer the slow-cooked tenderness, or your guests follow a dairy-free, gluten-free, or soy-free diet, these wings cater to various dietary preferences. The recipe offers substitutions, ensuring everyone can indulge in the deliciousness without compromising on flavor.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Chicken Wings: The star of the show, offering succulent and juicy bites.
- Garlic: Adds a robust and aromatic flavor, with the option to use fresh or powdered.
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper: Essential for seasoning and enhancing the taste of the wings.
For the Glaze:
- Dairy-Free Butter: Creates a rich and creamy base for the glaze.
- Honey: Provides natural sweetness, balancing the heat from the Sriracha.
- Sriracha Sauce: Adds a spicy kick, optional and totally customizable to your preferred level of heat.
- Coconut Aminos: Infuses a hint of umami, with options for tamari or soy sauce.
- Lime Juice: Offers a zesty and citrusy twist to brighten the flavors.
- Arrowroot Starch: Thickens the glaze to perfection, with alternatives like tapioca or corn starch.
Instructions: How to make Honey Garlic Chicken Wings
- Preparation: Combine chicken wings, garlic, salt, and pepper in a bowl or freezer bag for a well-seasoned base.
Making the Honey Garlic Glaze:
- Stovetop Method: Simmer glaze ingredients until slightly thickened or microwave for a quick alternative.
- Oven Preparation: Line a baking sheet, bake wings, brush with glaze, and broil for a crispy finish.
Slow Cooker Version:
- Slow Cooker Magic: Cook wings with half the glaze, then broil for a delightful combination of tenderness and crispiness.
Tips for Success:
- Proper Seasoning and Marinating Magic: For an even more intense flavor, ensure each wing is well coated with the seasoning and marinate the chicken wings in the garlic and seasoning for at least an hour or, better yet, overnight. This allows the flavors to penetrate the meat thoroughly.
- Even Glazing: Brush the wings generously with the glaze for an even and luscious coating.
- Double Glazing Brilliance: For an extra glossy finish and flavor boost, brush the wings with the honey Sriracha glaze twice during the baking or broiling process. This ensures a beautifully coated and flavorful outcome.
- Watch the Broil: Keep a close eye during the broiling process to achieve the desired crispiness without burning.
- Crispy Oven Perfection: Achieve the perfect crispiness by patting the chicken wings completely dry before seasoning. This helps to remove excess moisture, allowing the skin to crisp up beautifully in the oven.
- Serving Temperature: Serve the wings immediately after the final broil for the ultimate crispiness. The contrast of hot wings with the cool crunch of fresh vegetables or slaw enhances the dining experience.
- Dipping Delight: Elevate the experience with a variety of dipping sauces. Offer classic choices like ranch, blue cheese, or even a tangy tzatziki for a refreshing twist.
Variations and Substitutions:
- Gluten-Free Option: Substitute coconut aminos with gluten-free tamari for a Celiac-friendly version.
- Buttery Goodness: Swap dairy-free butter for ghee or regular butter if dairy is not a concern.
- Citrus Zing: Enhance the glaze with orange juice or zest for a citrusy kick. The bright notes will add an extra layer of freshness to the wings.
- Hoisin Harmony: Replace the Sriracha with hoisin sauce for a milder, slightly sweet flavor profile. Perfect for those who prefer less heat.
- Turn up the spice: Add some chili sauce like our Spicy Chicken Wings.
- Masala Magic: Swap the seasoning like our Masala Chicken Wings for an Indian-inspired twist.
- Maple Madness: Swap honey for maple syrup for a different take on sweetness. The rich and robust flavor of maple complements the garlic and Sriracha beautifully.
- Crispy Sesame Sensation: Toast sesame seeds and sprinkle them generously over the wings for a delightful crunch and nutty flavor. Sesame oil in the glaze can also intensify the nuttiness.
- Air Fried Goodness: Make the chicken wings in the air fryer like our Air Fryer Chicken Wings to free up the oven.
1. Game Day Platter:
Create a vibrant game day platter by pairing Honey Garlic Chicken Wings with an array of fresh veggies like celery and carrot sticks. Add a side of ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping.
2. Wing Bar Extravaganza:
Set up a DIY wing bar with various sauces and toppings. Offer classics like buffalo sauce, teriyaki, or even a tangy barbecue option. Let your guests customize their wings for a personalized flavor adventure.
3. Asian Fusion Tacos:
Take your game day menu to the next level by turning these wings into Asian fusion tacos. Fill soft taco shells with shredded cabbage, crispy wings, and a drizzle of the honey Sriracha glaze.
4. Sweet and Spicy Sliders:
Shred the chicken from the wings and serve on slider buns for a sweet and spicy twist on classic sandwiches. Top with crunchy coleslaw for added texture.
Storage and Freezer Instructions:
- Refrigeration: Store leftover wings in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Freezing: Freeze in a single layer, then transfer to a freezer bag for up to 2 months.
With the sweet, spicy, and savory medley of flavors in our Honey Garlic Chicken Wings, you’re in for a treat. Whether you opt for the oven-baked crunch or the slow-cooked tenderness, this recipe is a versatile crowd-pleaser. Elevate your wing game and savor the deliciousness in every bite!
Need more Super Bowl recipes? Here are some more game day recipes you will love:
These Honey Garlic Chicken Wings are perfect for game day snacking with a blend of succulent chicken, sweet honey, zesty garlic, and optional Sriracha for a winning touchdown on your taste buds. This chicken wing recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser and game-changer if you're craving bold flavors for your next party!
- 2.5 pounds chicken wings approximately 18-20 wings, rinsed and patted dry
- 3-4 garlic cloves , grated or finely minced. You can also use 3/4 - 1 teaspoon garlic powder.
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 Tablespoons dairy-free butter , you can also use ghee or unsalted butter if you're not dairy-free
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup Sriracha sauce , more or less to taste. Also totally optional for added spice. Omit if preferred.
- 2 Tablespoons coconut aminos , you can also substitute with gluten free tamari or low sodium soy sauce if you're not soy-free
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot starch , you can also use tapioca starch or corn starch if you're not corn-free
In a large freezer bag or bowl, combine the chicken wings, garlic and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat all the ingredients together in a saucepan on the stovetop over medium heat and allow to simmer until slightly thickened. You can also heat the sauce in a microwaveable bowl for 2-3 minutes until the glaze is hot and thickened slightly.
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup. Place an oven-proof baking rack on top and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake on the upper middle rack for 40 minutes, flipping the wings over halfway through. Brush the wings with half of the glaze and turn the oven to broil - for about 4-5 minutes, or until crispy, watching closely so they don't burn. Flip chicken over and brush on remaining glaze and broil the other side until crispy.
- In a 5-6 quart slow cooker, add the chicken wings and pour half of the glaze over top. Stir to combine. Cook on high for 2-3 hours (or low 4-6 hours) or until wings are cooked through.
- Remove wings from slow cooker and place on a baking sheet lined with foil. Brush the wings with remaining glaze and broil for approximately 4-5 minutes or until crispy, watching closely so they don't burn. Flip chicken over and brush on remaining glaze and broil the other side until crispy.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.