Air Fried Salmon is the quickest and easiest way to cook your salmon perfectly every time. Takes less than 15 minutes and you’ve got a delicious crust with a tender and flaky inside.
The Best Way to Cook Salmon
Looking for the easiest and most fool-proof way to cook salmon? After you try making air fryer salmon, it will definitely change the way you cook salmon. It’s super easy and saves you the mess and splatter from cooking it in a pan and from turning on the oven.
And if you don’t have an air fryer we also have a tutorial for Oven Baked Salmon, Pan Fried Salmon and Grilled Salmon. As you can see we cook salmon a lot around here. It is is hands down our favorite fish to make. It’s healthy, tasty and loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, protein, vitamin B and potassium. Plus, salmon is delicious and perfect if you’re looking for a meatless protein for Lent and bonus that it’s also low carb, keto, paleo and Whole30 compliant.
What is an Air Fryer?
So by now, you’ve probably heard people raving about an air fryer. Air Fryers are like portable convection ovens that use rapid air technology to fry food instead. This means you can get a crispy coating like a lot of your favorite deep-fried foods without the grease.
We’ve had a chance to test out a lot of air fryers and have been having a ton of fun experimenting with various recipes and converting our favorite recipes using the air fryer. We have no problem with having one of them sit on our counters without taking up too much space. Many of them have a touch screen display and features various presets on an easy to use digital control panel.
You simply place your food in the the cooking basket, load it into the Air Fryer, then select the setting you want depending on what you’re making and press start. The great thing about air fryers is that they heat up extremely quickly, and the air movement begins almost immediately.
What you need to make air fried salmon:
- 4 salmon fillets (four to six ounces) OR one large fillet
- avocado oil spray or olive oil spray
- fine sea salt and pepper
- onion salt (we use the one from Trader Joe’s)
- any fresh herbs and seasonings you like
HOW TO AIR FRY SALMON:
- To get that crispy golden skin on your salmon fillet, it’s important to pat the skin down with a paper towel.
- Lightly spray each salmon fillet with some avocado oil spray. Season with salt, pepper and onion salt.
- Place the salmon fillets skin side down, in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Set your air fryer to 400F for 7-8 minutes, depending on the thickness of your salmon.
- Serve with your favorite sides and enjoy.
BUYING THE RIGHT TYPE OF SALMON:
So what kind of salmon is best? When air frying salmon, choose individual fillets that are six- to eight-ounces per person.
If you’re buying one large piece of fish, just ask your fishmonger to portion them out for you.
How do you not overcook salmon?
The key to making the best pan seared salmon is not to overcook it and knowing how to tell when salmon is done.
Salmon cooks very quickly so you’ll want to keep an eye on it. When the fish starts to flake easily with a fork and the flesh looks opaque, it mean it’s ready to eat!
Tips for not overcooking Salmon
- BRING SALMON TO ROOM TEMPERATURE: If your salmon is cold, allow to sit at room temperature for at least 15-20 minutes.
- PAT SALMON DRY: Make sure the salmon is dry before adding it to the pan to avoid sticking. Pat each fillet down with a paper towel.
- LAY THE SALMON DOWN SKIN SIDE FIRST: The skin is tough and can withstand a longer cooking time on the pan without turning dry.
- DO NOT OVERCOOK: Do not leave the salmon on any longer than necessary. Once the salmon changes color to a light pink, with tender and flaky piece of salmon, it means the salmon is done and cooked perfectly to medium, with super-crispy skin.
Why we love making air fried salmon
- it’s delicious and super quick and easy
- less than 20 minutes to make a healthy dinner
- gluten free, low carb, keto, paleo and whole30 compliant
- macro-friendly at just 241 calories, 0 carbs, 34 grams of protein and 11 grams of fat and per serving
What can you serve salmon with
More delicious salmon recipes you might like:
Air Fried Salmon is the quickest and easiest way to cook your salmon perfectly every time. Takes less than 15 minutes and you've got a delicious crust with a tender and flaky inside.
- 4 (four to six ounces) salmon fillets (or one large fillet)
- 3/4 teaspoon avocado oil spray OR olive oil spray
- fine sea salt and black pepper , to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt , we use the one from Trader Joe's
- fresh herbs OR other seasonings you like
Pat down the skin of the salmon with a paper towel.
Lightly spray your salmon with some avocado oil spray. Season with salt, pepper and onion salt.
Place salmon fillets, skin side down, in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
Set your air fryer to 400F for 7-8 minutes, depending on the thickness of your salmon.
Serve with your favorite sides and enjoy.