This easy Air Fryer Salmon Recipe makes flaky and tender salmon with a perfectly crispy crust. In total, it only takes 10 minutes! You’ll never cook salmon in the oven or on the stove again! Gluten-free, low carb, keto, paleo and Whole30 compliant.
PIN HERE for later and follow my boards for more recipe ideas
Updated March 2021
Perfect Air Fryer Salmon Recipe
I could write a book about how much I love salmon. It’s incredibly flaky and tender, and the flavor can’t be beat. This air fryer salmon is a super healthy dinner option with plenty of protein, vitamin B and potassium. It’s also keto, paleo, low-carb and Whole30 compliant!
This recipe seriously makes the best salmon ever. I love using salt, pepper and a touch of onion salt to bring out the natural flavor of the salmon, but you can add any herbs and seasonings you like! The air fryer is really what makes the magic happen.
If you like cooking with your air fryer, be sure to check out my air fryer guide for helpful tips and tricks.
Why Use an Air Fryer?
The air fryer saves you the time it takes to preheat your oven and the mess and splatter from cooking salmon in a pan. All the while, it gives your salmon the best crispy coating while keeping the inside juicy and tender! Air fryer salmon is also healthier than pan-seared or oven-baked salmon. This recipe uses less than a teaspoon of oil!
This air fryer salmon recipe comes together with just a few basic ingredients, plus any additions of your choice. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Salmon Fillets: 4-6 ounces each, wild-caught.
- Avocado Oil Spray: Or olive oil spray.
- Salt & Pepper: To taste.
- Onion Salt: We use the one from Trader Joe’s.
- Other Seasonings of Choice: Feel free to add your favorite fresh herbs and seasonings.
What Kind of Salmon to Use
Wild-caught salmon has the best flavor, so I definitely recommend it over farmed fish. Choose individual salmon fillets that are 4 to 6 ounces each. Alternatively, you can buy one large fillet and ask your fishmonger to portion it out for you.
Can I Use Frozen Salmon?
Yes! Frozen salmon is fine to use; just thaw it out in the fridge first, then let it come to room temperature before cooking it. If you notice any soft spots or discoloration on your fish, it’s best to throw it out. The salmon should be clean and vibrant.
How to Cook Salmon in the Air Fryer
Cooking salmon in the air fryer is a cakewalk. Just follow the step-by-step instructions and photos or watch the video below.
- Pat Salmon Dry: To get that crispy golden crust on your salmon fillets, it’s important to pat the skin down with a paper towel. Drying the salmon also prevents sticking, so don’t skip this step.
- Season: Lightly spray each salmon fillet with some avocado oil spray. Season with salt, pepper and onion salt.
- Cook: Place the salmon fillets, skin side down, in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Set your air fryer to 400°F for 7-8 minutes, depending on the thickness of your salmon.
- Serve: Serve with your favorite sides and enjoy!
Tips for Success
You’ll be cooking salmon in the air fryer like a pro in no time. Just take note of these simple tips and tricks!
- Bring Salmon to Room Temperature: If your salmon is cold, allow it to sit at room temperature for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Lay Salmon Skin-Side Down: Don’t forget to lay your fillets in the air fryer skin-side down. The skin is tough and can withstand direct heat without turning dry.
- DO NOT OVERCOOK: Do not leave the salmon in the air fryer any longer than necessary. Once it becomes a light pink color with tender and flaky pieces, the salmon is cooked to perfection with super crispy skin. You can dig in a little with a fork to test for flakiness if you can’t tell whether or not it’s done.
- Know Your Air Fryer: It’s always best to underestimate the cook time if you’re not too familiar with your air fryer, because you can always leave the salmon in for longer. Some air fryers require preheating, so if yours does, be sure to preheat it to 400°F before cooking your salmon.
Crispy air fryer salmon is delicious on it’s own, but it also goes well with tons of tasty sides. These are some of our favorites:
- Pair with Roasted Asparagus: This crunchy Roasted Asparagus is seasoned with lemon and garlic for the most irresistible flavor. It goes so well with air fryer salmon!
- Serve with Broccoli: Roasted Garlic Broccoli is another healthy and crave-worthy side dish to pair with your salmon fillets.
- Serve with Teriyaki Sauce: Finish off your salmon by drizzling it with this delicious Homemade Teriyaki Sauce! It’s made with honey and chopped pineapples for a sweet and savory delight.
- Make a Salmon Salad: Turn your fish fillets into a hearty dinner salad with this easy Salmon Salad Recipe!
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Refrigerate leftover salmon in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat it in the air fryer at 350°F until the internal temperature of the fish reaches 145°F. You can also reheat your salmon fillets in the oven, if desired. Bake them on a foil-lined baking sheet at 275°F for about 15 minutes.
Cooked salmon can be frozen for up to 2 weeks in a freezer-safe container. Just thaw it out completely in the fridge before reheating it.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Hungry for more air fried food? You have to try the following recipes!
- Easy Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Perfect Air Fryer Steak
- Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
This easy Air Fryer Salmon Recipe makes flaky and tender salmon with a perfectly crispy crust. In total, it only takes 10 minutes! You'll never cook salmon in the oven or on the stove again!
- 4 4-6 oz salmon fillets or one large fillet
- 3/4 tsp avocado oil spray or olive oil spray
- fine sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp onion salt we use the one from Trader Joe's
- fresh herbs or other seasonings of choice
Pat down the skin of the salmon with a paper towel.
Lightly spray your salmon with some avocado oil spray. Season with salt, pepper and onion salt.
Place salmon fillets, skin side down, in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
Set your air fryer to 400°F for 7-8 minutes, depending on the thickness of your salmon.
Serve with your favorite sides and enjoy.
Jane Sparacio -
Please share the name of the air fryer you are using. i am almost 80 and this the type I would like to use. please help me out. I can’t wait to try that salmon!
Hi Jane, thank you. We love our air fryers and have 2 – this one is the 5.3 Kalorik. https://www.kalorik.com/products/kalorik-5-3-quart-air-fryer-pro-xl
Yum! this came out perfect! thank you!