This Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes recipe is perfect if you like baked sweet potatoes that are soft and fluffy on the inside with crispy skin on the outside, They are freezer-friendly, paleo, vegan, grain-free, gluten-free and Whole30 compliant.
PIN HERE for later and follow my boards for more recipe ideas
Easy Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potatoes Recipe
Baking sweet potatoes in the oven can take forever, and it’s hard to get them just right. With this Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes recipe, it’s never been easier to make baked sweet potatoes! They cook faster, taste better, and end up being healthier than oven-baked sweet potatoes.
In addition to using less oil than their oven-baked counterparts, these air fryer baked sweet potatoes are gluten-free, grain-free, vegan, paleo and Whole30! They make a great light lunch or hearty side dish for any meal. There are so many tasty ways to serve them!
Not a fan of sweet potatoes? Try this method with our air fryer baked potatoes! We use our air fryer all the time and have a ton of air fryer recipes and this helpful air fryer guide on how to use an air fryer.
These sweet potatoes bake up in your air fryer with a little oil and a little salt. If you’d like to add additional toppings and flavorings after they cook, feel free!
- Medium Sweet Potatoes: Scrubbed, rinsed and dried. They should weigh between 8 and 10 ounces.
- Avocado Oil: Or olive oil.
- Coarse Sea Salt: You’ll need about half a teaspoon to season the potatoes before they cook, and you can add more later to taste, if desired.
Optional, for Serving
- Salt & Pepper: To taste.
- Vegan Butter: Or ghee. You can use grass-fed butter if you’re not dairy-free/vegan.
- Chopped Fresh Parsley: Or chives, to garnish.
How to Make Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
Get ready for the easiest air fried sweet potato recipe ever! Making baked sweet potatoes in the air fryer is super quick and simple to make, but they taste like a million bucks.
- Heat Air Fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 400°F.
- Prepare Potatoes: Use a fork to pierce the sweet potatoes all around. Drizzle or brush the potatoes with oil and rub with your hands to coat all around. Season with salt.
- Bake: Place the sweet potatoes in the air fryer basket. Roast for 40-50 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and can be pierced easily with a fork.
- Remove & Serve: Use tongs to remove the sweet potatoes from the air fryer and then cut each one lengthwise to split. Serve with optional toppings and enjoy!
I mean, is there anything that doesn’t taste good on top of a steaming baked sweet potato? These toppings sure do!
- Vegan Cheese: You can’t beat a freshly baked sweet potato covered with melty cheese. To keep things vegan, just use your favorite brand of vegan cheese!
- Beans: A hearty topping of black beans can transform side dish sweet potatoes into a worthy main course!
- Tofu: Tofu also makes a tasty baked potato topping, no matter the occasion. Cook it up nice and crispy with this easy Air Fryer Tofu recipe!
- Vegan Sour Cream: A dollop of vegan sour cream is another solid topping choice for sweet potatoes. And why just add one topping when you can have multiple? Use as many as you’d like!
Tips for Success for making sweet potatoes in the air fryer
Looking for a little extra advice? Check out this quick list of tips and tricks to ensure sweet potato success.
- Wash the Potatoes Well: Don’t skip out on rinsing off your sweet potatoes. They most likely have some dirt on them, since they come from the ground, and you want to make sure they’re nice and clean before you cook them.
- Don’t Forget to Pierce the Potatoes: It’s important to pierce the sweet potatoes all around with a fork. This prevents them from bursting in the air fryer.
- Use Similarly Sized Potatoes: If some of your sweet potatoes are significantly larger than others, they won’t cook evenly. Make sure they’re all a similar size and weight.
What Goes with Air Fried Baked Sweet Potatoes?
We love pairing these tender baked sweet potatoes with one of the following sides!
- Salad: My Brussels Sprouts Salad is a great dish to serve with these sweet potatoes. It’s tossed in a tangy Dijon vinaigrette that really ties it all together.
- Chili: You guys, this Vegan Chili Recipe is a must-make! It pairs perfectly with baked sweet potatoes to give you an ultra flavorful and nutritious vegan dinner.
- Chicken: If you’re not vegan or vegetarian, I highly recommend serving these potatoes with a hearty chicken recipe like this Easy Grilled Chicken or Air Fryer Chicken Breast. Such a healthy and satisfying meal!
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Store leftover sweet potatoes in a well-covered, airtight container in the fridge. They’ll stay fresh for about 3-4 days.
I usually try to save some of these sweet potatoes, because they’re so quick and easy to reheat! You just have to microwave them in 30-second intervals until they’re warmed to your desired temperature. Then add your toppings and enjoy!
Can You Freeze Cooked Sweet Potatoes?
You bet! You can also freeze leftover sweet potatoes for extended storage, if you’d like. Keep them in a freezer-safe container and store them for up to 3 months. Before you can reheat them, you’ll have to thaw them overnight in the fridge.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Want more yummy dishes to make in your air fryer? Give these a try!
More sweet potato recipes:
Air Fryer Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes
If you like perfectly baked sweet potatoes that are soft and fluffy on the inside with crispy skin on the outside, then you have to try this easy Air Fryer Sweet Potatoesrecipe! It's paleo, vegan, grain-free, gluten-free and Whole30 compliant.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes 8-10 ounces each; scrubbed, rinsed and dried
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt plus more for serving
- coarse sea salt & freshly cracked black pepper
- vegan butter or ghee; or grass-fed butter if not dairy-free
- fresh chopped parsley or chives
Preheat the air fryer to 400°F.
Use a fork to pierce the sweet potatoes all around.
Drizzle or brush the potatoes with oil and rub with your hands to coat all around.
Season with salt.
Place the sweet potatoes in the air fryer basket.
Roast for 40-50 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and can be pierced easily with a fork.
Use tongs to remove the sweet potatoes from the air fryer and then cut each one lengthwise to split.
Serve with optional toppings.
Nutrition info does not include optional toppings.
Leave a Comment