This simple Arugula Salad is healthy, refreshing and easy to make with spicy arugula, juicy figs, cucumber, blueberries and blackberries with a lemon tahini dressing. It’s the perfect lunch or light dinner and simple to customize with any spring or winter fruit.
Healthy Arugula Salad
Arugula is one of my favorite greens to use in a salad. It’s light, refreshing with a peppery bite that goes perfectly with so many fruit and vegetables.
This arugula salad is a bright, beautiful and is full of spring and winter flavours. What I love about making spring salads like this is that you can put them together quickly with ingredients that can easily be swapped out for what you have on hand.
Why we love this salad recipe
Not only is this arugula salad delicious, it’s also so simple to make! It makes a quick and easy lunch, dinner and is naturally gluten-free and fits into various diets such as paleo, low carb, Keto, vegan and Whole30 compliant.
You can serve make a big batch for summer barbecues, picnics or serve as a side to a comforting and cozy dinner in the winter.
Ingredients you need to make this spring salad delicious
- Mixed greens of choice – I used green leaf and baby spinach but feel free to use escarole, romaine lettuce or iceberg lettuce
- Toppings – Pecans, pistachios, sliced almonds and hemp seeds add that perfect crunch
- Herbs – Chopped parsley
For the Dressing
The light and bright arugula salad dressing is made with just 5 ingredients:
- lemon juice
- avocado oil (or extra virgin-olive oi)
- nutritional yeast – optional or feel free to use parmesan if not dairy-free, vegan, Whole30 or paleo
- black pepper
How to make Arugula Salad
- MAKE THE DRESSING: Add all the ingredients for the dressing in jar or a bowl. Shake or whisk until combined.
- ASSEMBLE THE SALAD: Place the arugula leaves in a large mixing bowl. Season with salt, pepper and little bit of the dressing.
- Add the remaining salad ingredients and drizzle with more dressing. Top with nuts and seeds of choice.
Make Ahead and Storage Tips
If prepping this salad ahead of time, store the dressing separately until ready to serve.
- To Make This Arugula Fig Salad Ahead. Prepare the dressing in a jar and seal with an airtight lid. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Rinse and dry the arugula ahead of time and wrap with a paper towel in a large resealable bag. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Wash the fruit and cucumber and store in a glass resealable container or a separate resealable bag. Slice the figs and cucumber before serving. When ready to serve, assemble the salad.
- To Store. You can store leftover dressed salad in the refrigerator for 1 day.
Variations and Tips for Making the Best Arugula Salad
- Add cabbage, pickled onions, grape tomatoes or sun-dried tomatoes for an extra punch of flavour
- Sprinkle on some vegan ricotta or feta if not dairy-free, Whole30 or paleo
- Serve with some air fryer tofu to make this a complete vegan dinner or some grilled salmon, grilled chicken or any protein of choice.
More healthy salad recipes you might like:
This simple Arugula Salad is healthy, refreshing and easy to make with spicy arugula, juicy figs, cucumber, blueberries and blackberries with a lemon tahini dressing. It's the perfect lunch or light dinner and simple to customize with any spring or winter fruit.
- 3 cups loosely packed organic arugula leaves , washed and dried
- 1 cup mixed greens , washed and dried
- 2 figs sliced
- 1/2 cup blueberries + blackberries
- 1 medium cucumber , sliced
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1/2 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon pistachios
- 1/2 teaspoon hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon
- 3-4 tablespoons avocado oil OR extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tsp nutritional yeast , optional
- salt and pepper to taste
MAKE THE DRESSING:Add all the ingredients for the dressing in a jar or a bowl. Shake or whisk until combined.
ASSEMBLE THE SALAD: Place the arugula leaves in a large mixing bowl. Season with salt, pepper and little bit of the dressing.
Add the remaining salad ingredients and drizzle with more dressing. Top with your favorite nuts and seeds and serve.