These easy pickled onions are extremely flavorful and so easy to make! Pickled onions are perfect for almost anything, such as sandwiches, tacos, salads, etc. Vegan and tangy, these onions made with apple cider vinegar are huge hits in the summer time and holidays!
Easy Pickled Onions
These pickled onions are so easy to make. Not only do these onions come together in less than an hour, but they are vegan! We love to eat these deliciously tangy pickled onions on tacos, salads, sandwiches… You name it, these onions are so divine and flavorful!
With just a handful of ingredients, this easy recipe does not require any mason jars or canning. This recipe is super easy to make on the stove-top, and you will be surprised by how much flavor is packed within these onions. We like to keep a batch of these in the refrigerator at all times because they are so great on almost any type of food. Not only are these onions delicious, but they are beautiful to look at. These recipe contains the most beautiful shade of pink!
How many carbs in an onion?
The average medium-sized onion contains about 10g of carbohydrates. While onions may tend to be a bit high in carbs, they still offer a couple of great benefits for anyone wanting to enjoy them!
Ingredients You Will Need For This Pickled Red Onion Recipe
- Onion– we used a red onion, but any color of onion will be great for this recipe!
- Apple cider vinegar– make sure to get ACV with “The Mother” for additional benefits.
- Salt-we like Himalayan pink salt
- Garlic– not crucial, but we highly recommend garlic for this recipe.
- Maple syrup or Lankto sweetener– we like to use a sweetener to round up the tangy flavors.
- Parsley– for an enhanced fresh flavor
- peppercorns to kick the flavors up a notch
- red pepper flakes for an extra level of spice
- fresh dill to create a more complex flavor
How To Pickle Onions
- Peel and thinly slice an onion. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine apple cider vinegar, salt, maple syrup or preferred sweetener, and garlic over medium heat. Bring to a gentle simmer. Remove from heat.
- Place the sliced onions in a medium-sized bowl, and pour the hot vinegar mixture over the onions. Add the freshly chopped parsley and stir the ingredients together.
- Set a timer for 15 minutes to let the onions marinate. After 15 minutes, stir the onions and let soak for additional 15 minutes.
How long do pickled onions last?
Pickled onions can last in the refrigerator for up to three weeks. We recommend refrigerating these onions as soon as they are cooled off to maintain optimal fresh flavors!
How To Store
Transfer the onions to an airtight container and place in the refrigerator for up to three weeks.
Notes For This Recipe
- Fresh parsley is best, but dried parsley can work, too!
- We have not tried the canning method for this recipe. We do not claim it will work.
- If you do not have apple cider vinegar, white vinegar be just fine!
Recipes To Serve Easy Pickled Onions With
- Zucchini Taco Boats
- Easy Breakfast Tacos
- Homemade Guacamole
- Avocado Toast
- Avocado Egg Salad
- Shrimp Tacos
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Black Bean Veggie Quinoa Salad by Healthy Gluten-Free Family
These easy pickled onions are so flavorful and easy to make. Ready in under an hour with just a handful of simple ingredients, this vegan recipe is perfect for warmer weather and holidays with the family!
Peel and thinly slice an onion. Set aside.
In a small saucepan, combine apple cider vinegar, salt, maple syrup or preferred sweetener, and garlic over medium heat. Bring to a gentle simmer.
Remove from heat. Place the sliced onions in a medium-sized bowl, and pour the hot vinegar mixture over the onions.
Add the freshly chopped parsley and stir the ingredients together.Set a timer for 15 minutes to let the onions marinate.
After 15 minutes, stir the onions and let soak for additional 15 minutes.