This Grilled Zucchini recipe is so easy to make with dried herbs and the perfect healthy and simple side dish for using up summer garden zucchini. The best summer veggie that is so delicious with any grilled protein of your choice and is naturally gluten-free, Whole30, keto, low carb and paleo-friendly.
Easy Zucchini Side Dish
During the summer, we are all about easy recipes and love using our grill as much as possible. Any chance we can keep our oven off on a hot July and August day is always a good thing. This Grilled Zucchini is one our favorite side dishes to use up our garden fresh zucchini bounty. We eat zucchini and squash all year round and always have it on rotation but even more so once zucchini season arrives. It’s the perfect simple side dish for summer and goes so well with grilled chicken, grilled salmon and our grilled vegetable platter.
Why we love this zucchini recipe
Not only is this grilled zucchini recipe so ridiculously easy to make, it’s also delicious and good for you. Grilled zucchini is healthy and naturally Whole30, Vegan, Gluten-Free, Paleo, Low Carb and Keto friendly.
Plus, you can customize this grilled vegetable with any other seasonings or fresh herbs you like. Don’t have fresh garden basil? Use fresh parsley, cilantro or oregano instead!
Ingredients you need for the grilled zucchini marinade
- Zucchini – you want to use a fairly large or medium large sized zucchini for the best bbq zucchini results
- Avocado oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fresh Lemon Juice and Lemon Zest – adds a bright and refreshing flavor
- Zucchini Seasoning: Garlic Powder, Dried Parsley , Kosher Salt, Ground Black Pepper and optional Crushed Red Pepper
- Fresh Herbs: Chopped Fresh Basil
How to cut zucchini for grilling
- Place the zucchini on the cutting board and cut both ends off.
- Turn the zucchini on its side and cut into three slices about 1/3 inch thick
How to make Grilled Zucchini
- PREHEAT GRILL: Preheat grill or grill pan to medium heat.
- PREP THE ZUCCHINI: Wash zucchini and cut lengthwise into long strips about 1/3 inch thickness.
- COAT ZUCCHINI: Place zucchini strips onto a tray. Stir together oil and lemon juice in a small bowl, then brush on a coating using a pastry brush. Flip zucchini over and coat the other side.
- MAKE SEASONING: In a small bowl mix together garlic powder, parsley flakes, salt and pepper. Sprinkle over the zucchini.
- GRILL ZUCCHINI: Place seasoned side of zucchini on grill and cook until charred on the bottom, 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle top side of zucchini with seasoning. Flip strips over using tongs and cook again for 3-5 minutes.
- GARNISH: Serve warm topped with fresh chopped basil.
What goes with grilled zucchini
Zucchini goes so well with so many things! You can serve it along your favorite grilled or roasted protein. We love it with some Instant Pot Lemon Chicken or our Grilled Salmon Burger and air fryer sweet potato fries.
More zucchini recipes you might like:
Grilled or Roasted Zucchini Boats
- 2 large zucchini , sliced into 1/3 inch thick long strips
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil OR extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes , optional
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium heat.
Wash zucchini and cut lengthwise into long strips about 1/3 inch thickness.
- Place zucchini strips onto a tray. Stir together oil and lemon juice in a small bowl, then brush on a coating using a pastry brush. Flip zucchini over and coat the other side.
In a small bowl mix together garlic powder, parsley flakes, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes, if using. Sprinkle over the zucchini.
- Place seasoned side of zucchini on grill and cook until charred on the bottom, 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle top side of zucchini with seasoning.
- Flip strips over using tongs and cook again for 3-5 minutes.
Serve warm topped with fresh chopped basil.