Learn How to Cut a Pineapple using this easy step-by-step tutorial with photos and video. This is our favorite fool-proof method for cutting a pineapple for snacks and parties with no mess. It’s super easy and the best way to get the most goodness out of a pineapple.
An Easy Way to Cut a Whole Pineapple
Wondering how to cut a pineapple without making a big mess? Pineapples are such a unique fruit, so it’s hard to know the best way to cut one. These fool-proof techniques for cutting a pineapple for kids and parties will give you pretty little cubes. The pineapple cubes are perfect for kids’ snacks and serving in a salad bowl for summer picnics, barbecues and parties.
There are a ton of different ways to cut a pineapple but since you guys loved this tutorial on how to cut a watermelon, we wanted to share the method we use the most. And, it’s surprisingly simple! All you need is a cutting board, a sharp knife, and a few minutes to get the perfect juicy pineapple slices.
How to Pick a Pineapple
Follow these simple tips to keep in mind when choosing a pineapple. Picking the perfect pineapple is half the work!
- Look for green leaves: The color of a pineapple doesn’t tell you whether it is ripe. Green pineapples and yellow pineapples can both be ripe. Instead, look at the leaves. The leaves should be a vibrant shade of green.
- Squeeze the body: Do not choose pineapples that are soft. Instead, choose one that is firm that yields slightly when you give it a squeeze.
- Weight: Try to choose a heavy pineapple. The heavier it is, generally means that it is a juicy pineapple since it has a higher water content.
- Smell: The pineapple should have a sweet scent if you put your nose near the stem side of the pineapple. Do not choose one that does not have a scent since that means the pineapple is not ripe yet. Also, do not select a pineapple that appears to have a strong vinegar odor since that means it may be past its prime.
How to Cut a Pineapple
Cutting a pineapple is easier than you’d think. This technique will help you get the most pineapple slices possible from your fruit.
- Remove Top & Bottom: Place the pineapple on a cutting board on its side and slice off the spiky top & bottom of the pineapple to create a flat base.
- Remove Rind: Set the pineapple flat side down. Work your way around the pineapple, cutting off the rind in strips. Use your knife to remove the “eyes,” being careful not to cut too much of the fruit, if possible. Trim off any remaining eyes or bits of rind.
- Cut Around the Core: Cut the pineapple straight down into four quarters around the core and discard the core.
- Slice to Desired Size: Slice the pineapple into large pieces or smaller cubes.
- Serve or Store: Enjoy right away or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
How to Store Cut Pineapple
To store your pineapple slices, you’ll need to keep them in an airtight container. Place the container in the fridge and enjoy your pineapple slices within the next few days.
How Long is Cut Pineapple Good For?
Your pineapple slices will stay good for 3-5 days in the fridge. If you notice that they smell fermented, discard them. If you want your pineapple slices to last for months, store them in the freezer instead.
Can I Freeze Pineapple?
Yes, pineapple slices are freezer friendly! Start by placing your slices on a lined baking sheet and freezing them for one hour, or until they’re frozen solid. Then, transfer them to a freezer bag or airtight container. If you store them in a ziploc bag with all the air squeezed out, they’ll last for up to 12 months!
Ideas for Using Pineapple
Pineapple tastes amazing with so many different recipes. It adds a juiciness, sweetness and freshness that you can’t get with any other fruit!
- In a Smoothie: Add pineapple into any smoothie for the best flavor. Try making this detox smoothie for a healthy breakfast or snack!
- On Meat: Pineapple glaze is the perfect topping or marinade for meat. This Teriyaki Salmon with Pineapple and Orange is so tender, juicy and flavorful.
- In a Salad: There are so many tasty salads you can make with pineapple slices. Whether it’s raw or grilled, pineapple will make your salad stand out from the rest.
- In Fried Rice: This healthy Pineapple Fried Rice recipe is so tangy and addicting! You have to try it.
Watch the video to see how easy it is to cut a pineapple:
More pineapple recipes:
This easy step-by-step tutorial will show you How to Cut a Pineapple. I use this method every time! It's super easy and the best way to get the most goodness out of a pineapple.
- 1 ripe pineapple
Place the pineapple on a cutting board on its side and slice off the spiky top and bottom of the pineapple to create a flat base.
Set the pineapple flat side down. Work your way around the pineapple, cutting off the rind in strips. Use your knife to remove the "eyes," being careful to remove as little of the fruit as possible. Trim off any remaining eyes or bits of rind.
Cut the pineapple straight down into four quarters around the core and discard the core.
Slice the pineapple into large pieces or smaller cubes.
Enjoy right away or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to eat.