Mixed Berry Skillet Crisp with an oat crumble topping is the perfect easy and healthier dessert for using up summer or frozen berries. Best of all, it’s gluten free, vegan, refined sugar free and takes less than 10 minutes to assemble with blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and blackberries. Plus recipe video.
Using Fresh Berries in Summer Desserts
Juicy sweet berries are one of my favorite things about summer. Whenever we have an overload of summer fruit, I can never resist tossing a bunch together with an oatmeal crust.
They’re always a huge hit and the best part is, they take less than 10 minutes to make. You can even use frozen fruit if that’s what you have on hand.
How to Make a Mixed Berry Skillet Crisp
Making the mixed berry skillet crisp is so easy! Just toss the berries together with some maple syrup and cornstarch (or arrowroot powder) to thicken up the juices. You can make spread the filling into a 9 or 10 inch cast iron skillet or a large baking dish. Next, you mix together the crumble topping with some oats, oat flour, maple syrup, coconut oil, cinnamon and salt. Use gluten free oats if necessary.
If you don’t have oat flour on hand, you can make your own by tossing 1 cup of oats into your food processor or high speed blender and pulse until it is finely ground. Regular or almond flour would work here as well.
Don’t forget to serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. So easy ingredients and delicious!
Mixed Berry Skillet Crisp with an oat crumble topping is the perfect easy and healthier dessert for using up summer or frozen berries. Best of all, it’s gluten free, vegan, refined sugar free and takes less than 10 minutes to assemble
- 2 cups fresh or frozen defrosted blueberries
- 1 cup fresh or frozen defrosted sliced strawberries
- 1 cup fresh or frozen defrosted blackberries
- 1 cups fresh or frozen defrosted raspberries
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or honey
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 1 1/3 cups old fashioned oats use gluten free if needed
- 2/3 cup oat flour* can also use all purpose or almond flour if desired
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1/3 cup solid coconut oil, softened slightly (or unsalted butter)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, toss the berries with maple syrup and cornstarch. Pour into a lightly greased 8 or 9" cast iron skillet.
- Rinse and dry the same bowl and add the oats, oat flour, maple syrup, coconut oil, cinnamon and salt. Use a fork or clean hands to combine the mixture until it forms small pea-sized clumps.
- Spread oat mixture evenly on top of berries with your hands and press down lightly.
- Bake for 35 to 42 minutes, or until golden brown and the edges are bubbling. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
*To make your own oat flour, pour 1 cup of whole rolled oats into a food processor or high-speed blender and process until it is finely ground. Or, can purchase pre-made gluten free or regular oat flour.