This Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream is sweet, creamy and so easy to make with only 3-ingredients and less than 20 minutes of prep. A no churn ice cream recipe that’s the perfect dairy-free, paleo and low carb treat for summer made with strawberries, frozen bananas and canned coconut cream.
Easy Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe
Nothing helps cool you down more than a big bowl of ice cream on a hot summer day. This Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream is deliciously sweet, creamy and so easy to make without an ice cream maker. Inspired by our Keto Strawberry Ice cream, and made with fresh strawberries, canned coconut cream and sweetener of your choice.
Our homemade strawberry nice cream is the perfect way to use up some fresh local farmer’s market strawberries and is sure to satisfy that ice cream craving. Plus, since it’s no churn, you won’t even need the stove or an ice cream maker! The hardest part is just waiting for it to freeze.
Can I have ice cream on a vegan diet
Yes! If you are following a plant-based or vegan diet, it’s still possible to enjoy your favorite frozen treat when that ice cream craving hits.
Our dairy-free strawberry ice cream recipe is made with coconut cream, bananas and strawberries.
Why you’ll love this nice cream recipe
Strawberry desserts are perfect for spring, summer and anytime you’re craving a light and refreshing treat in the August heat. This vegan ice cream recipe is cool and creamy and the perfect way to cool down if you’ve been outside all day.
- it’s delicious and easy to make with gluten free, paleo, low carb and keto ingredients you probably already have in your pantry.
- you only need 3 ingredients and less than 20 minutes of prep time
- this is a no churn recipe that doesn’t require an ice cream maker
- no eggs required or making a custard
- so simple to customize with different flavors
Ingredients you need
This strawberry sorbet comes together easily with just three main ingredients in your blender or food processor. We make a batch of this every few days and it’s such a great way to use up those extra ripe bananas sitting on the counter.
- Frozen Bananas – to create optimal rich flavors. We like to use ripened spotty bananas for this frozen banana ice cream recipe. Do not try to use green or yellow bananas for any nice cream recipes as you will be pretty disappointed.
- Strawberries – we like to use frozen strawberries or you can use fresh strawberries cut into slices and freeze them ahead of time.
- Canned coconut cream (only use brands (like Trader Joe’s, Aroy-D) containing coconut milk & water. Do not use brands with Guar gum or other fillers or the ice cream will not turn out properly). If you don’t have coconut cream, you can also spoon out the thick part of a chilled can of full-fat coconut milk.
- Vanilla extract – optional, but used for additional flavoring
- Liquid sweetener of your choice. We don’t typically add any sweeteners or sugars since we find this sweet enough but you can definitely add some to suite your taste. A few options: Maple syrup, honey (if not vegan), liquid monk fruit, sugar-free maple syrup or other liquid sweetener of your choice.
How to make Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream
To make this creamy homemade strawberry ice cream recipe without an ice cream maker:
- Slice bananas: Slice up your banana into one-inch thick coins.
- Freeze bananas: Place on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Freeze for about one hour or until frozen.
- Blend: Place the frozen banana slices, strawberries and coconut cream in a food processor or a high-speed blender. Blend until the mixture resembles soft serve ice cream. Scrape the sides of the processor as needed. After a few minutes, the ice cream should have the correct creamy texture.
- Eat right away or freeze: Enjoy immediately or transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze for 1 hour or until desired consistency.
A Few Tips For This Nice Cream
Here are a few tips to make the perfect strawberry ice cream every time:
- Slice and freeze ripe bananas – Slicing bananas into smaller chunks helps the bananas blend easier once they are frozen. When you place the sliced bananas into the freezer, be sure to line the plate or tray with parchment paper or they might get stuck.
- For a sweeter ice cream, use bananas that are very ripe. If you use unripe bananas, you may need to add a preferred sweetener, such as monk fruit sweetener, coconut sugar, or maple syrup.
- Once frozen, toss into a food processor or a high powered blender (Vitamix, Blendtec etc.) – At first, the frozen bananas will turn into a crumbly texture and then all of a sudden, will transform into a dreamy-licious soft, and fluffy soft-serve ice cream texture.
Ice Cream Variations
Play around with flavor combinations!
- Use frozen blueberries to make Blueberry Nice Cream
- Swap frozen mango chunks for a delicious Mango Nice Cream
- Stir in some peanut butter for a yummy Peanut Butter Nice Cream (or any other nut butter you like)
- Add some crumbles of Edible Cookie Dough to make a delicious Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- Some cacao powder for a delicious Chocolate Nice Cream
Toppings and Variations
- add some blueberries or raspberries to make this a mixed berry ice cream
- have fun with mix-ins: garnish with fresh berries, keto granola, chopped pecans, almonds or macadamia nuts
Store this healthy ice cream in an airtight freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to three months. When ready to enjoy, just allow the nice cream to thaw on the counter for about 15 minutes prior to eating.
Frequently asked questions
How long can I keep homemade ice cream?
Although most store-bought ice creams will last longer than two weeks in the freezer, we recommend enjoying the fresh flavors of this vegan strawberry ice cream on the same day since the flavors and texture is best the day it is made. You can technically keep it frozen for up to a few weeks and thaw before eating.
Do you need an ice cream maker?
No. This no churn strawberry ice cream recipe does not require an ice cream maker.
Why make homemade ice cream?
You might be wondering with all the dairy-free ice cream brands you can find in the grocery store these days, why make a homemade strawberry ice cream.
Store-bought dairy-free ice creams are high in cost for a small-sized container. Many brands – such as Haagen Daaz, Halo Top and Enlightened are also filled with more than 5 ingredients and some of those are made with fillers, gums, syrups and sweeteners that may not agree with your body.
However, by making your own ice cream at home, you get to control the ingredients and the amount of sweetener you use.
More vegan ice cream recipes you will love:
This Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream is sweet, creamy and so easy to make with only 3-ingredients and less than 20 minutes of prep. A no churn ice cream recipe that's the perfect dairy-free, paleo and low carb treat for summer made with strawberries, frozen banana and canned coconut cream.
- 3 cups fresh or frozen strawberries , cut into slices
- 1 frozen banana , cut into rounds
- 1 cup Canned coconut cream Only use brands (like Trader Joe’s, Aroy-D) containing coconut milk & water – no Guar gum or other fillers or the ice cream will not turn out properly). If you don’t have coconut cream, yu can also spoon out the thick part of a chilled can of full-fat coconut milk.
- Place the frozen banana slices, blueberries and coconut cream plus optional vanilla and sweetener (if using) in a food processor or a high-speed blender (such as a Vitamix or Blend-tec). Blend the ingredients together until the mixture resembles soft serve ice cream. Scrape the sides of the processor as needed. After a few minutes, the ice cream should have the correct creamy texture.
Transfer the ice cdream mixture to a 9x5 loaf pan. Place the loaf pan in the freezer and fro 2 hours or until frozen (or desired consistency).
Before serving, remove from freezer and allow to sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes to soften.
Be sure to use full-fat canned coconut milk, not lite or coconut milk beverage.
*If your ice cream is too hard to scoop, let it sit on the counter for about 15 minutes to soften. Adding vodka to the ice cream helps to offset some of the iciness.
Please note that nutrition facts were estimated for 1/3 cup. serving.