This Winter Salad is full of flavor and packed with yummy winter greens, and a homemade vinaigrette. Made with massaged kale, arugula, grape tomatoes, crunchy pecans, pumpkin seeds and pomegranate arils.
Easy Salad Recipes
We make salads all-year round and I love adding seasonal vegetables and fruits to change things up. During the fall, we make this Harvest Fall Salad and in the summer it’s this Kale Salad with Avocado and Spinach Salad.
This easy Winter Salad is one that we make often with what we have on hand during the cold winter months. It’s a balance of sweet, savory and loaded with texture.
Ingredients you need:
The best part about making salads for lunch or dinner is that you can customize them with whatever you have on hand. This winter salad uses:
- Kale – We like lacinato or dinosaur kale but feel free to use curly kale or any other kale you like
- Peppery arugula
- Red cabbage
- Sweet pomegranate arils
- Grape Tomatoes
- Toasted pecans
- Sliced almonds
- Pumpkin seeds / pepitas
- Sunflower seeds
What dressing goes with this winter salad:
For this homemade vinaigrette, we used:
- avocado oil OR extra-virgin olive oil
- apple cider vinegar OR fresh lemon juice
- Lakanto sugar free maple syrup for keto, pure maple syrup for paleo or orange juice for Whole30
- fine sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
If you’re in a pinch and don’t have time to make your own dressing, you can grab your favorite pre-made dressing from the store.
One of our go-to brands is either Trader Joe’s Green Goddess Dressing or Primal Kitchen Green Goddess Dressing, Greek Dressing or Caesar Dressing. All of their dressings are made with Whole30 compliant ingredients.
How to make Winter Salad
- MAKE THE VINAIGRETTE: Add the dressing ingredients to a bowl or a jar. Whisk or shake until combined.
- PREP & MASSAGE KALE: Remove and discard the hearty stems and tear or chop the kale leaves into thin piece and place in a large bowl. Drizzle with oil & a pinch of salt and use your hands to massage until the leaves start to soften and wilt.
- ADD DRESSING AND ASSEMBLE SALAD. Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl. Drizzle with dressing & black pepper. Toss lightly to coat and top with more nuts, seeds or pomegranate arils if desired.
WHAT TO EAT WITH WINTER SALAD:
This winter salad would be delicious on it’s own or with any protein of you choice such as:
If not Whole30 or Paleo, you can add some feta or grated Parmesan cheese. It’s also perfect as a healthier side to Thanksgiving, Christmas or a holiday potluck.
Can I make this ahead of time?
The great thing about kale is that it lasts much longer than traditional salad greens so it works great for meal prep.
You can prep the kale ahead of time and store it in a resealable bag or container for up to 5 days.
Is Winter salad healthy?
This delicious kale salad is not only delicious, it’s also low carb, paleo and keto friendly, Whole30 compliant, sugar free, vegan, gluten free. The nutritional info for one serving of this winter salad recipe is:
- 185 calories
- 3g Net Carbs = 5g Total Carbs – 2g Fiber
- 3g Protein
- 18g Fat
More salad recipes you might like:
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil OR extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar OR lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1-2 tsps sugar-free maple syrup (Lakanto) OR pure maple syrup for paleo OR orange juice for Whole30
- fine sea salt + freshly cracked black pepper , to taste
- 1 bunch kale stems removed, chopped (5–6 cups)
- 1/3 cup arugula
- 1/4 cup shredded red cabbage
- 4 grape tomatoes , sliced into halves
- 2 tablespoons toasted pecans
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 1.5 tablespoon pomegranate arils
- 5 cranberries , for garnish
- freshly chopped parsely , for garnish
Add the dressing ingredients to a bowl or a jar. Whisk or shake until combined. Taste and adjust seasonings.
PREP & MASSAGE KALE: Remove and discard the hearty stems and tear or chop the kale leaves into thin piece and place in a large bowl. Drizzle with oil & a pinch of salt and use your hands to massage until the leaves start to soften and wilt.
ADD DRESSING AND ASSEMBLE SALAD. Add the remaining saladw ingredients to the bowl. Drizzle with dressing, black pepper and toss lightly to coat.