This Air Fryer Falafel recipe is easy to make in the air fryer and cooks up light, fluffy and so crispy. They’re the perfect gluten-free vegan appetizer, side or top them over a salad without some tahini dressing.
Healthy Air Fryer Falafel
Are you a fan of falafel but don’t feel like making a mess using a deep fryer? Once summer comes around, we are all about using our air fryer and Instant Pot since they don’t heat up the house. This air fryer falafel is perfect because you won’t have to stand over a hot stove flipping them. A few other vegetables we love making in our air fryer are these Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters, Air Fryer Cauliflower and Air Fryer Broccoli.
Where did Falafel come from
Falafel is a popular Middle Eastern dish made from a mixture of chickpeas (or fava beans), spices and fresh herbs that you form into small patties or balls.
An authentic falafel recipe is traditionally deep fried in order to give the patties that crispy texture on the outside with a soft and doughy texture on the inside. With this air fried falafel recipe, you can skip the deep fryer and avoid all that greasy mess.
Why we love this air fryer recipe
What I love about making falafel in the air fryer is that it’s made with simple pantry ingredients you most likely have in your kitchen. Plus, our falafel recipe is also gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian and totally kid-friendly. My son loves falafel and we make this for him at least once a week!
Ingredients you need to make crispy air fryer falafel
- canned chickpeas – you can also use dried chickpeas that have been soaked and then cook either in the Instant Pot or on the stove
- red onion – roughly chopped
- lemon juice
- fresh herbs including: fresh parsley and cilantro
- nutritional yeast
- spices: smoked paprika, cumin and ground coriander
- salt and black pepper
- superfine blanched almond flour – you can sub with oat flour, chickpea flour or even regular all purpose flour if not gluten-free
- baking soda
How to make Air Fryer Falafel
To make the delicious falafel mixture:
- Place drained chickpeas in a food processor with onion and garlic. Gently pulse for about 30 seconds until the chickpeas are mostly smooth.
- Add lemon juice, parsley, coriander, nutritional yeast, paprika, cumin, ground coriander, salt and pepper. Blitz again until combined and then stir in the flour and baking soda.
- Take a tablespoon of the mixture and roll into a ball or form into patties. Repeat with remaining mixture. It should make around 15 patties.
How to Air Fry Falafel
For air fryer falafel you’re going to want to:
- Lightly coat falafel with cooking spray – we like to use 100% avocado oil. Working in batches, place the patties in the air fryer basket.
- WHAT TEMPERATURE DO I AIR FRY FAFLAFEL? Turn the air fryer to 375F.
- HOW LONG TO AIR FRY FALAFEL? Cook for 12-13 minutes, flipping each one over half-way through.
Can you freeze air fryer falafel?
Yes, the great thing about making this gluten free falafel is that you can easily make it ahead of time for a party or a picnic.
How to make ahead: Simply combine all of the falafel ingredients together and store in an airtight container or a large bowl covered with plastic wrap in the fridge for up to 2 days. When you’re ready to cook, remove the bowl from the fridge and form into patties.
How to freeze: Once you form the mixture into patties or balls, place them on a large baking sheet and freeze for at least 40 minutes, or until firm. Transfer the hardened falafel patties into a large resealable freezer bag for up to 3 months.When ready to cook, fry or bake them straight from the freezer. You will need to adjust the cooking time.
What to serve with falafel
Packed with protein, fiber and nutrients, this classic Mediterranean recipe is delicious alone, in pitas, wraps, sandwiches and salads. You can serve them for lunch, dinner or as an appetizer as a mezze with a fresh veggie platter along with hummus, tzatziki or tahini sauce.
Crispy air fryer falafel are best served hot on the same day. We think vegan falafel are delicious on their own, over salads, pitas, wraps, or over cauliflower rice along with some:
More air fryer recipes you might like:
This Crispy Air Fryer Falafel recipe is easy to make in the air fryer and cooks up light, fluffy and so crispy. They're the perfect gluten-free vegan appetizer, side or top them over a salad without some tahini dressing.
- 2 cans (14-ounce) organic no salt added chickpeas , rinsed, drained well & patted dry
- 1 small red onion , roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 3/4 tsp salt
- black pepper
- 2 tbsp superfine blanched almond flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
Place drained chickpeas in a food processor with onion and garlic. Pulse for about 30 seconds until the chickpeas are mostly smooth.
Add lemon juice, parsley, coriander, nutritional yeast, paprika, cumin, ground coriander, salt and pepper. Blend again until smooth and combined. Then stir in the flour and baking soda.
Take a tablespoon-sized scoop of the mixture and roll into a ball or form into patties. Repeat with remaining mixture. It should make around 15 falafels.
Lightly coat falafel with avocado oil spray. Working in batches, place patties in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Turn the air fryer to 375F and cook or 12-13 minutes, flipping each one over half-way through.
Best served hot but will keep for 2-3 days in an airtight container in the fridge or freeezer for up to 3 months.