This Breakfast Sandwich is hearty and healthy, but packed with flavor and lots of fun. You can easily make it gluten-free and dairy-free, and it only takes 20 minutes to cook.
Updated January 2023
A Quick and Healthy Breakfast Sandwich Recipe
A good breakfast sandwich is the perfect way to start the day, and this recipe is my favorite. With healthy bread, healthy fats, fresh greens, and fluffy eggs, you’re getting all the nutrients and proteins you need to carry you through your day. But the avocado, cheese, and seasonings make the sandwich taste indulgent. It feels like a treat to get to begin your day with this breakfast sandwich, but it’s a really healthy first meal.
The key to this recipe is the balance between rich ingredients like cheese, eggs, and avocado, and fresh ingredients like arugula, apples, and lemon juice. Add in some strong seasonings, and you have a breakfast sandwich that really stands out. It’s also very easy to make, and you can make it gluten-free and dairy-free.
What You’ll Need
Here’s everything you need to make this creamy, filling breakfast sandwich. Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the page for the exact quantities.
- Rustic sourdough – You can use any type of rustic, crusty bread, and you can choose a gluten-free loaf. We like Bread Srsly, AWGbakery or California Country Gal)
- Butter – Use unsalted butter for this recipe. It can be dairy-free or regular. We like Miyokos.
- Cheese – Regular cheese or vegan cheese works for this recipe. You can use cheddar-style, swiss, parmesan or mozzarella. We like Violife or Miyokos.
- Lemon juice – Make sure to use fresh lemon juice.
- Kosher salt – You can also use sea salt.
- Black pepper – Be sure to use freshly-ground black pepper.
- Everything bagel seasoning – You can replace this with sesame seeds or the seasoning blend of your choice.
- Arugula – It’s fine to use other greens, like baby spinach for this recipe.
- Avocado oil – You can use olive oil if you prefer.
- Flakey salt – This is a garnish.
- Apples – These are optional, and give the sandwich a fall flavor. We recommend honeycrisp or gala apples.
What is Everything Bagel Seasoning?
Everything bagel seasoning is the spice mixture that you find on everything bagels. Different companies have different recipes, but it usually includes sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried garlic, dried onions, and salt, often with additional spices.
How to Make a Breakfast Sandwich
Here’s how to make this quick and easy breakfast sandwich.
- Toast the bread. Spread butter on each slice of bread, and add the cheese to one of the slices. Place the bread on a skillet or under a broiler, and cook until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted. This should take 1-2 minutes.
- Add arugula. Remove the toast from the heat, and add arugula on top of the cheese. If using the optional apples, place them on top of the arugula.
- Make the avocado mixture. Place the avocado on the other slice of bread, and spread with a fork. Squeeze lemon juice over the avocado, and season with flakey salt and pepper.
- Cook the eggs. Heat the oil in a nonstick pan over medium low heat. Beat the eggs with salt and pepper in a bowl, then add to the pan. Let them sit for a few seconds, then use a spatula to pull the eggs to the middle of the pan, tilting it so the uncooked eggs fill in the empty spots on the pan. Repeat this process, forming the eggs into a similar shape as your bread, until the eggs are fluffy and almost done cooking. Then let them cook to your desired doneness.
- and place them on top of the avocado mixture.
- Finish. Place the eggs on top of the avocado mixture. Put the two sides of the sandwich together, cut in half, and enjoy.
Tips and Tricks
Here are a few tips for making the best breakfast sandwich.
- Use soft butter. Make sure to use butter that has been out at room temperature long enough to soften. Soft butter is easier to spread over the bread, which means you can get a more even coating, and a better toast.
- Use a perfectly ripe avocado. Sometimes it’s not crucial to use perfectly ripe ingredients, but you really want to use a ripe avocado for this breakfast sandwich. The texture of the avocado is really important in this recipe, as it almost forms a sauce. If the avocado is unripe, you won’t be able to mash it, and you’ll be left with firm slices of avocado rather than a creamy, luxurious, saucy avocado mixture.
- Don’t overcook the eggs. You should cook the scrambled eggs to your desired doneness, but keep in mind that they’ll keep cooking even after you remove them from the pan. Take the eggs off the heat and put them on the sandwich a little bit before they’re cooked to your liking. By the time you finish assembling the sandwich, they’ll be the perfect consistency.
This egg sandwich is a complete meal all by itself. But you can make it part of a larger breakfast if you want. Here are some of my favorite foods to serve with breakfast sandwiches.
- Easy fruit salad
- Strawberry granola
- Air fryer bacon
- Homemade applesauce
- Cold brew coffee
- Healthy berry smoothie
How to Store and Reheat
These sandwiches are best eaten fresh. If you store them, the bread will get pretty soggy. If you have leftovers though, they’ll last in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat on medium heat in the toaster oven, or for 5 minutes in a 375F oven.
Can You Freeze Breakfast Sandwiches?
I don’t recommend freezing this recipe. The texture of the bread will get funny as it absorbs the avocado, and the avocado and greens will not reheat very well. If you want to try though, store them in an airtight container for up to 3 months. To reheat, cover in aluminum foil and place in a 375F oven for 10 minutes.
More Egg Breakfasts to Make
Here are some of my other favorite egg breakfast recipes to try!
This breakfast sandwich is hearty, healthy, and only takes 20 minutes to make. With fluffy eggs, melty cheese, and rich avocado, it's the perfect way to start your day.
- 2 slices rustic sourdough bread (can use gluten-free sourdough – we like Bread Srsly, AWGbakery or California Country Gal)
- 2-3 slices cheese , Regular cheese or vegan cheese works for this recipe. You can use cheddar-style, swiss, parmesan or mozzarella. We like Violife or Miyokos for dairy-free.
- 1 tbsp butter (can be dairy-free or regular)
- ½ medium avocado
- fresh lemon juice to taste
- kosher salt or sea salt to taste
- freshly-cracked black pepper to taste
- pinch everything bagel seasoning (can sub with a mix of black and regular sesame seeds, or use your favorite seasoning)
- small handful arugula (can sub with baby spinach or greens of choice)
- 2 slices honeycrisp or gala apple (optional for a fall touch)
- 1 tsp avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 2 large eggs
- Flakey salt for garnish
Spread butter on both slices of bread. Top one slice of bread with cheese, tearing the cheese to fit the bread surface as needed. Take both slices of bread and toast on a skillet, under a broiler or oven until lightly golden and the cheese is just melted, about 1-2 minutes. Place both pieces of bread side-by-side onto a plate large enough to fit both slices. Top the cheese slice with a little bit of arugula and, if using, the apple slices.
Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Add the avocado onto the other slice of bread. Use a fork to lightly smash and spread. Squeeze with a little bit of lemon juice, and season with flakey salt and black pepper.
Heat the oil in a medium nonstick skillet over low-medium heat. Crack two eggs into a medium bowl. Season with salt and black pepper and add a tiny drop of water. Use a whisk or fork to beat until combined. Pour the beaten eggs into the skillet and let them set for a few seconds. Use a spatula to gently push one side of the eggs into the middle. Tilt the pan to fill in the gap with the runny part of the eggs and continue to gently push the eggs towards the middle from all sides a few times (trying to shape them into a similar shape and size of your bread). Once the eggs are fluffy and almost scrambled, stop scraping and let the eggs cook until they are done to your liking. Remove the pan from the heat and carefully transfer the eggs on top of the mashed avocado slice. Pick up that slice to close the sandwich over the apple, arugula, and cheese slice, and gently press down.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the sandwich in half and enjoy.
Nutrition is calculated using non-vegan butter and cheese.