These Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies are soft, chewy and so easy to make with simple pantry-friendly ingredients! A healthy one bowl paleo cookie recipe made with almond and coconut flour with dairy-free chocolate chips for the perfect healthy gluten-free treat.
PIN HERE for later and follow my boards for more recipe ideas
Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Looking for the perfect paleo chocolate chip cookie recipe? These Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies are a family favorite. My kids call them the perfect chocolate chip cookies since they are soft, chewy and insanely delicious. Tender, but with a small amount of crisp, this paleo recipe is gluten-free and the perfect healthy cookie recipe to satisfy that sweet cookie craving.
Not a fan of chocolate chip cookies? Other amazing paleo cookies we love include Zucchini Cookies, Lemon Cookies and Paleo Chocolate Cookies.
Why we love this recipe
- An easy ONE-bowl recipe that comes together in no time
- Made with simple pantry friendly ingredients
- Gluten-free, grain-free, paleo-friendly with vegan and dairy-free options
- Soft, chewy and with a slight crisp and what we think is the perfect chocolate chip cookie texture
Ingredients you need for Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
SWEETENER AND WET INGREDIENTS:
- Egg – room temperature – helps to give the cookie structure and bind all the ingredients together
- Coconut oil: you want it softened like butter and be sure to use refined coconut oil if you are not a fan of the coconut flavor. You can also sub with softened Ghee OR grass-fed butter
- Coconut sugar: a lower glycemic and refined sugar-free sweetener that resembles the taste and texture of brown sugar. If you want to make these gluten free cookies keto friendly, you can try swapping with golden monk fruit sweetener or better yet, check out my keto chocolate chip cookies
- Vanilla extract: just a teaspoon of pure vanilla helps to make these soft and chewy paleo cookies delicious and bring out the flavors from all the other ingredients.
- Almond Flour: Be sure to use superfine blanched almond flour and not almond meal. Almond flour is the main nut flour providing most of the bulk. Measure properly using the spoon and level method. We usually use Bob’s Red Mill or the Almond Flour from Costco
- Coconut flour: is the other gluten free flour that we use to help give these cookies that soft and chewy texture. Be sure to fluffy it out prior to measuring.
- Cinnamon: just a dash of organic Ceylon cinnamon takes these cookies from ordinary to amazing
- Gluten-free baking powder: leavening agent that helps the cookies rise and give them structure
- Chocolate chips: be sure to use paleo-friendly or dairy-free chocolate chips (we like Lily’s Sweets, Santa Barbara, or Hu Kitchen), or sub with Coarsely Chopped Keto Chocolate
How To Make Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- PREHEAT OVEN: Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F and line your baking pan with parchment paper.
- MAKE THE COOKIE DOUGH: In a large mixing bowl, add softened coconut oil, coconut sugar and vanilla and mix with a fork or a whisk until combined. Crack in the egg and beat until light and fluffy.
Sift in the almond flour, coconut flour, cinnamon and baking powder and mix until the dough is combined. Fold in chocolate.
- FORM INTO COOKIE DOUGH BALLS: Scoop out tablespoon-sized dough balls and place evenly apart on parchment lined baking sheet. Gently flatten each dough ball with your hand. Bake for 9-12 minutes, or until edges are slightly golden brown. Do not over bake as the cookies will continue baking.
- COOL: Allow to cool on the baking sheet for at least 20 minutes.
Tips for making the Best Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Use superfine blanched almond flour and not almond meal. Measure properly using the spoon and level method.
- Fluff out coconut flour prior to measuring.
- It’s important to use a room temperature egg so your batter mixes evenly
- Use refined coconut oil if you are not a fan of the coconut flavor from unrefined coconut oil
- Do not overbake as the cookies will continue to cook while cooling
- Allow to cool completely to allow the cookies to firm up for the best cookie texture
- Add some chopped nuts: walnuts, pecans or chopped sliced almonds would all be delicious
- Fold in some dried fruit: raisins or dried cranberries would be a great choice
- Make sandwich cookies with an almond butter and maple syrup filling OR peanut butter (if not paleo)
- Form the dough into small mini cookie dough bites to make this cookie cereal recipe
- For nut free: try swapping the almond flour with finely ground sunflower flour. You can find this at WholeFoods or Amazon
- Allergic to coconut? I have not tried but you may see if swapping the coconut flour with arrowroot flour or tapioca starch works
- Coconut oil: sub with softened Ghee OR grass-fed butter if not dairy-free. To make paleo chocolate chip cookies vegan, check out my Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies that we made one morning in January
- Coconut sugar: a lower glycemic and refined sugar-free sweetener that resembles the taste and texture of brown sugar. If you want to make these gluten free chocolate chip cookies keto friendly, you can try swapping with golden monk fruit sweetener or better yet, check out my keto chocolate chip cookies that we made back in March
How to store paleo almond flour chocolate chip cookies
ROOM TEMPERATURE: To store almond flour paleo cookies at room temperature, place them in a single layer an airtight container for up to two days.
IN THE FRIDGE: Place in a single layer in an airtight container. These chewy paleo chocolate chip cookies will remain fresh for about four days.
How to freeze paleo chocolate chip cookies
In the mood to freeze cookies? You can check out the step-by-step details of freezing cookies here but it’s actually really simple.
Just place the gluten-free chocolate chip cookies on a baking sheet and freeze for 20 minutes, or until hard. Transfer to a large freezer bag or an airtight container and freeze for up to three months.
When ready to enjoy the crispy paleo chocolate chip cookies, allow the cookies to thaw at room temperature for about 15 minutes.
More Delicious Paleo Cookie Recipes You’ll Love
These almond flour chocolate chip cookies are the best! Paleo and refined sugar-free, you will love this easy and quick dessert recipe!
- 1/4 cup refined coconut oil , softened like butter - can try subbing with ghee or grass-fed butter
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup superfine blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2/3 teaspoon baking powder , use gluten-free as required
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips OR chopped chocolate (we like Lily's Sweets, Santa Barbara, or Hu Kitchen)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, add coconut oil, coconut sugar and vanilla and mix with a fork or a whisk until combined.
In a large mixing bowl, add coconut oil, coconut sugar and vanilla and mix with a fork or a whisk until combined. Crack in the egg and beat until light and fluffy.
Sift in the almond flour, coconut flour and baking soda, and mix until the dough is combined.
Fold in chocolate. Scoop out tablespoon-sized dough balls and place evenly apart on parchment lined baking sheet.
Gently flatten each dough ball with your hand. Bake for 9-12 minutes, or until edges are slightly golden brown.
Do not over bake as the cookies will continue baking. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for at least 20 minutes.
These were amazing! Made them last week and we are doubling the recipe this time. Thanks