Meal Prep Steak Fajitas are tender, juicy and perfect when you’re craving homemade fajitas. This recipe is made with tender beef, colorful vegetables & a zesty lime seasoning. Comes together super quick and works great for Sunday meal prep.
Fajitas are a favorite around here.
They are full of flavor and seriously so simple to make. Everything comes together in one pan in under 30 minutes. This recipe is another one of those easy meals on our regular rotation.
You can make it anytime you feel like throwing a Mexican fiesta or during a busy weeknight. Plus, these Meal Prep Steak Fajitas are very simple to customize with your favorite protein and are great for Sunday Meal Prep.
HOW DO I MAKE THESE MEAL PREP STEAK FAJITAS
- You start off by making the homemade Tex-Mex inspired seasoning. It’s a blend of chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and salt. Or if you already have a favorite brand of fajita seasoning, you can certainly use that instead.
- Combine the olive oil, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, cilantro and fajita seasonings for the steak marinade in a large resealable bag. Add the steak, seal the bag and press the bag down into the steak so the flavors meld together.
- Cut the onions and bell peppers into thin slices
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat and cook the onions until soft and fragrant, then add the bell peppers. If you like your vegetables with a nice crunch, you’re going to cook everything on the pan for about 3-5 minutes. And if you like your veggies a little bit softer, leave them on for about 2-3 minutes longer. Once they’re done, transfer to a plate and set aside while you cook the steak.
- Return the skillet back to the heat and melt the butter. Add the steak then allow to sear undisturbed for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Increase the cooking time if you like your steak more well down.
- Once cooked to your liking, transfer the steak to a cutting board and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing into thin strips.
- Divide into lunch containers or serve hot with warm tortillas, low carb tortillas, coconut wraps, as a salad or over some cauliflower rice.
WHAT ELSE CAN I SERVE THESE STEAK FAJITAS WITH?
You can serve these delicious fajitas over some cilantro lime rice, beans, nachos or even some pasta for a filling meal.
SOME HELPFUL RECIPE AND MEAL PREP NOTES:
- add more chili powder and some red chili flakes if you prefer more heat
- make ahead by slicing the vegetables the night before
- if you have time, marinate steak overnight for even more flavor
Prep these on your meal prep Sunday and divide everything out into lunch containers to enjoy them throughout the week.
More recipes you might like:
Meal Prep Steak Fajitas
Meal Prep Steak Fajitas are tender, juicy and full of flavor! Best of all, they come together super quick and are perfect for busy weeknights.
- For the fajita seasoning:
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- For the fajitas:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- juice from 2 limes divided
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard paleo/keto brand as necessary OR Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ pounds skirt or flank steak
- 4 medium bell peppers thinly sliced into strips
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced into strips
- 1-2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- lime wedges,
- sliced avocado
- warm tortillas
- FOR LOW CARB: low carb tortillas or cauliflower rice
- FOR MEAL PREP: lunch containers
Combine all the ingredients for the homemade seasoning. Reserve 1 1/2 teaspoons for the bell peppers.
In a large resealable bag, combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil, lime juice, mustard and 5 teaspoons of the fajita seasonings. Add the steak, and press the bag in to evenly distribute the flavors. Allow to sit while you prepare the vegetables.
Prepare the bell peppers and onions by slicing into thin strips.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and allow to cook for about 3-4 minutes, or until softened and fragrant. Add the bell peppers and sprinkle with the reserved 1 1/2 teaspoons of fajita seasonings. If you like the peppers with a nice crunch - cook for about 3-5 minutes. And if you like them softer, leave them on for about 3 minutes longer. Transfer and set aside on a plate.
- Melt butter on the same skillet. Add the steak and sear undisturbed for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Cook longer if you like your steak more well done. Transfer steak to a cutting board and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing into thin strips.
Serve hot with heated tortillas, avocado slices and lime wedges plus any other toppings of your choice.
For a low carb version, you can use coconut wraps, low carb tortillas or serve over some lettuce or cauliflower rice.
- For Meal Prep: Divide evenly into lunch containers.