This Berry Açai Smoothie Bowl is smooth, creamy and a healthy breakfast idea to start the day. It’s easy to make with mixed berries, açai and banana. Top it with your favorite fruit and nuts for extra protein and crunch. Naturally vegan, paleo, Whole30-friendly and dairy-free!
Easy Açai Smoothie Bowl Recipe
Smoothies and smoothie bowls are one of our favorite ways to start the morning. They are perfect after a workout and a great way to sneak in some healthy fruit.
This Berry Açai Smoothie Bowl is sweet, refreshing and full of sweet berries, açai and banana. It’s super simple to make and packed with antioxidants and immune-boosting ingredients. Plus, it’s vegan, dairy free and has no added sugar. You can totally add a sweetener if you like though and swap out whatever fruit or toppings you have on hand.
What is açai?
Açai (ah-sigh-EE) berry is a small purple fruit resembling grapes and are harvested from acai palm trees, which are native to the rainforests of South America. Açai bowls have become super popular lately and are essentially just smoothies served in bowls. They are made with açai along with some additional fruit or toppings! A little fancier than traditional smoothies, smoothie bowls are eaten by a spoon and topped with all sorts of things, like nuts, seeds, fresh fruit, bee pollen, etc. We like smoothie bowls because they are super versatile and easy to make for breakfast or afternoon snacks when you need an extra kick of energy.
Ingredients you need
This easy smoothie bowl is easy to customize and takes less than 5 minutes to make in a high-speed blender.
- Unsweetened Almond Milk: Or any other dairy-free milk you like.
- Frozen banana: To make the smoothy extra creamy and natural sweetness. Go ahead and swap these out for frozen cauliflower rice, creamy avocado for low carb or keto.
- Frozen Mixed Berries: Frozen berries are important in a smoothie – they help make it nice and thick without the need for added ice. If you only have fresh berries on hand, simply remove the leaves and freeze them yourself!
- Açai: We like to use the frozen açai packets since they are convenient and taste better but you also use an açai powder if that’s all you can find.
- Liquid Sweetener (Optional): If you’re not on the Whole30 diet and want to sweeten up your smoothie bowl even more, you can add date syrup, maple syrup, agave or your preferred liquid sweetener to taste.
- Your favorite nut butter or seed butters: Almond butter, pecan butter, peanut butter or cashew butter
- Hemp seeds- for added fiber and protein. Sub with chia seeds , ground flax seeds or use a mix. Or you can also add a scoop of plant-based protein powder – we like Sprout Living Simply Organic Pea Protein or Nuzest Clean Lean Protein in Just Natural
Açai Bowl Toppings
Feel free to have some fun with the toppings – they’re the best part! Anything you like will totally work!
For this bowl we used:
- Chia Seeds
- Fresh mixed Berries
- Coconut flakes
More Delicious Smoothie Topping Ideas
- Sliced or chopped fruit: mango, peaches, pineapple, cherries
- Fresh berries: we like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries or blackberries
- Pomegranate seeds
- Nuts: sliced almonds, crushed pecans, walnuts, pistachios
- Seeds: sunflower seeds, pumpkin seed (pepitas), hemp seeds, chia seeds, ground flaxseeds
- Coconut flakes
- Your favorite nut butter or seed butters: almond butter, pecan butter, peanut butter or cashew butter
How to make an Açai Smoothie Bowl
You will love how this easy smoothie bowl recipe comes together within minutes! Bright and cheerful, this recipe is destined to turn any morning into a great one.
- Blend the ingredients: Add all the ingredients to a high-powered blender.
- Blend until smooth: Blend on high until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. Add more liquid as needed to thin out or add more frozen fruit, ice or banana to thicken. Taste and add sweetener, if desired.
- Assemble and add toppings: Transfer to a bowl. Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Tips for Success
This açai smoothie is very forgiving and easy to control. The following tips offer more support for making it great!
- Frozen Açai Packets: We prefer using the frozen acai packets since they are more delicious than the acai powder.
- Organic Berries are Best: Costco and Trader Joe’s sell quality frozen mixed berries year-round. I recommend purchasing yours there if it’s not berry season.
- Add Liquid Ingredients First: Always add the liquid ingredients to your blender first, then work your way up and finish with the frozen berries. This helps everything combine beautifully.
- Adjust the Consistency: To add extra thickness and creaminess to your smoothie bowl, throw in some more ice or frozen banana. If you’d like to thin it out, pour in more almond milk. Make additions little by little and blend after each one until you’re satisfied.
- Tweak the Flavor: I recommend adding your sweetener to taste after the smoothie is blended rather than pouring it in at the beginning. You may find that your drink is sweet enough as it is!
Smoothie Bowl Variations
You can also change up these easy smoothie recipes with any add-in choices that you like:
- Coconut water
- Matcha powder or brewed green tea
- Cacao powder
- Avocado – for creaminess and healthy fats
- Dairy-free plant-based milk: almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk or oat milk
- Ripe frozen banana (adds thickness as well)
- Water kefir
- Celery – chopped
- Cauliflower – adds bulk
If NOT Whole30, paleo & dairy is okay:
- Dairy-free yogurt. Or plain yogurt, Greek yogurt or vanilla yogurt – add to the freezer for 20 minutes and it tastes just like ice cream
- Nut butter: Peanut butter, almond butter or sunflower seed butter for extra added protein
- Oats for extra staying power
Make ahead and storage tips
To prepare this recipe ahead of time, then simply just portion out the ingredients and place in reusable storage containers or bags and store in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to use. When ready to make this smoothie bowl recipe, then dump each portion into the blender and enjoy!
Storing The Leftovers
There are a variety of ways to enjoy the leftovers for this healthy berry acai smoothie bowl recipe. If you happen to have any leftovers from this recipe, then store the smoothie in a mason jar or other type of storage container in the refrigerator. Be sure to enjoy the smoothie no later than 24 hours after placing in the refrigerator.
In the mood for a “nice cream”? Place the leftover smoothie in the freezer and enjoy it like a summer dessert. If you happen to have some Popsicle molds, then this smoothie can definitely be poured into them for healthy frozen treats.
How to freeze smoothies
If you prefer to store your blended berry smoothie bowls in the freezer, you can portion them out into ice cubes until frozen. Then pop the smoothie cubes out and store in a clear resealable bag or Stasher bag for up to 3 months.
Then when you’re drink your breakfast smoothie bowl, simply thaw in the fridge about an hour beforehand in a glass cup.
You can also freeze the smoothies in a mason jar for up to 3 months. Be sure not fill the mason jar all the way to the top, otherwise, the jar can shatter. When you’re ready to drink your healthy smoothie, thaw the mason jar in the fridge the night before or a few hours beforehand.
This Berry Açai Smoothie Bowl is smooth, creamy and a healthy breakfast idea to start the day. It's easy to make with mixed berries, açai and banana. Top it with your favorite fruit and nuts for extra protein and crunch. Naturally vegan, paleo, Whole30-friendly and dairy-free!
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk or any non-dairy milk, plus more as needed
- 1 banana cut into slices or chunks and frozen
- 2 frozen açai packets
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1/2 tablespoon creamy nut butter / seed butter , optional to taste - for added healthy fats
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsps ground flax seeds , hemp seeds or chia seeds, optional to taste - for added fiber
- Liquid sweetener , optional to taste
- Fresh berries
- Coconut flakes
- Nut butter
- Add all the ingredients to a high-powered blender.
- Blend on high until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. Add more liquid as needed to thin out or add more frozen fruit, ice or banana to thicken. Taste and add sweetener, if desired.
- Transfer to a bowl. Add your favorite toppings and enjoy.