Wondering what to buy at Trader Joe’s now that you’re following a low carb plan? This is the ultimate Guide for Low Carb Trader Joe’s Products. It’s perfect for those beginning their keto journey and includes an extensive list of keto snacks and groceries and things to avoid.
PIN HERE for later and follow my boards for more Keto grocery haul ideas
YOUR GUIDE TO KETO FOODS AT TRADER JOES
Alright folks, ever since posting our super viral blog post on The Best Keto Foods to Buy at Whole Foods, we’ve been getting lots of requests to post one for the best keto foods to buy at Trader Joe’s (stay tuned for Target & Walmart post to come) and a Trader Joe’s Whole30 Shopping List.
If you follow us over on Instagram, you’ll know that I am a big Trader Joe’s fan and I always get tons of DM’s and questions on keto-friendly Trader Joe’s Products every time we go to Trader Joe’s.
And if you don’t have a Trader Joe’s nearby, check out our Best Keto Foods to Buy at Costco.
WHAT IS TRADER JOE’S?
Trader Joe’s is a popular American specialty grocery chain with a variety of fresh produce and healthy signature food items. It has been voted one of the top food market to shop at since you can find lots of bargains and unique products that you don’t see anywhere else.
Trader Joe’s is one of my favorite grocery stores to shop at for keto, paleo and Whole30 products since they have lots of options for those with dietary food restrictions.
WHY WE LOVE TRADER JOE’S
My little ones are crazy about Trader Joe’s since it’s such a fun place to shop. They have mini shopping carts for kids and have free juice and coffee for the adults as well as tasty samples (sometimes it’s the infamous cauliflower gnocchi) to munch on while you shop.
We live about 30 minutes away so I always end up leaving with a full cart of our favorites to stock up our keto pantry.
TRADER JOE’S PRODUCTS:
So if you’ve ever wondered what is Keto approved at Trader Joe’s, this ultimate keto shopping list of What to Buy at Trader Joe’s is for you.
And, don’t forget to check out this Ketogenic Diet guide and Shopping List that gives a more detailed breakdown of which foods and ingredients are low carb or keto and what you should avoid.
DO SOME RESEARCH AND READ NUTRITIONAL LABELS
As always, since everyone’s goals or preferences are different, it’s important to read the ingredient and nutrition labels to see if the product fits into your macros.
And please remember that since ingredients on products can change from time to time, this keto Trader Joe’s Products list for 2019 should fit into a low carb meal plan at the current at the time of publishing this blog post.
If you do spot something that changes, be sure to let us know so we can update it!
TRADER JOE’S SECRET SHOPPING TIPS:
1. Shop during off-peak hours – Trader Joe’s tends to be the busiest on Saturday afternoons, so it’s best to avoid the store the store on those days if you want to avoid the crowds and ensure that your favorite products are in stock.
2. They have a great return policy – Not happy with your purchase. You can return the product with your receipt for a full refund – no questions asked.
3. Get the best bang for your buck on their extensive frozen food section – stock up on frozen foods.
4. Fun fact – did you know that Trader Joe’s is happy to let customers “try before you buy” their ready-to-eat goods in-store? All you have to do is ask a store associate.
5. Shop their Fearless Flyer for the latest in-store deals and specials.
Photo: Trader Joe’s
6. Stock up on popular items. If you’re a fan of Trader Joe’s cauliflower pizza crust, Everything But the Bagel Seasoning, Sweet Chili Sauce, pancake bread & cauliflower gnocchi, those are usually the first to go so it’s a good idea to stock up if they fit your macros.
MY FAVORITE KETO FOODS TO BUY AT TRADER JOE’S:
With Trader Joe’s changing up their stock fairly regularly, here are the best keto foods to buy at Trader Joe’s right now:
Avocado is my #1 keto snack of choice. It’s full of healthy fats and the perfect way to get fiber and potassium into your diet. And if you don’t feel like making your own guacamole – Trader Joe’s has a ton of guacamole with no added sugars.
2. Nuts, almond flour and chia seeds
Trader Joe’s has a large variety of their in house nuts and seeds and it’s usually cheaper than other brands – especially the roasted Macadamia Nuts.
3. Chomps beef and turkey meat sticks
These snack sticks are basically a healthy grass-fed version of the Slim Jim. But with real ingredients. They work great if you’re looking for a high protein, low carb snack.
4. Ghee / Clarified Butter
Ghee is highly-clarified butter that has less lactose because the milk solids have been removed. We use it to cook eggs, saute vegetables and in baking.
My Trader Joe’s carries ghee at a great price so we always stock up.
5. Organic Coconut Aminos is a low-glycemic, vegan, low carb, Whole30, paleo and gluten-free alternative to soy sauce. It is made from the aged sap of coconut blossoms and salt and is one of my favorite Trader Joe’s products. They have it for such a great price so we always stock up on this as well.
If you’re trying to get enough fats to meet your macros, you might want to check out the avocado selection. They have the full-size versions which make the best keto snack for on the go. And the mini teeny tiny avocados which are half the size and great for avocado toast.
7. Organic Oven Roasted Turkey
Their in-house brand is comparable to Applegate with only 2 ingredients – free range turkeys with no added hormones, no nitrates, and no antibiotics.
We buy this deli turkey all the time to pack for our kids’ school lunchboxes.
8. Grass-fed meat
Trader Joe’s is one of the cheapest places where you can buy frozen grass-fed meat. They have great prices on burgers and this ground beef is only $5.99 for 16 oz.
9. Epic bar
All natural game meat snacks that are healthy, natural, and a perfect keto-approved snack.
10. Nut butter and seed butters
And if you’re looking for peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter or sun butter, Trader Joe’s has an awesome collection with no added sugars.
We always get the no added sugar sunflower seed butter for the kids to take to school and my personal favorite has to be the Mixed Nut Butter with roasted cashews, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts, walnuts and pecans.
My husband is a total salsa freak and people are always asking us which Trader Joe’s salsa is the best? Although the Pepita Salsa is a top contender, his other favorites are the Salsa Verde, Salsa Autentica and Chunky Salsa.
They’re fresh and flavorful with a great ingredient list.
12. Green Goddess Salad Dressing
This is by far the best salad dressing you can find in a bottle. It tastes fresh and has all clean ingredients. It’s perfect on any salad, eggs, chicken, steak and over zucchini noodles – it’s Whole30, keto and paleo.
13. Frozen vegetables and frozen berries
- rainbow cauliflower – add to stir-fries, roast in the oven or air fryer
- Brussels sprouts – roast in the oven or the air fryer
- green vegetable foursome
- zucchini spirals – perfect in Zucchini Noodles with Shrimp
- organic strawberries – yummy for snacking or Keto Smoothie Bowls
- raspberries – great for smoothies and snacking
14. Deli Section
- traditional carnitas – a convenient low carb protein option for the husband
- chicken sausage – convenient low carb protein option
- uncured bacon – a convenient low carb protein option
- sliced proscuitto – for cheeseboards or a snack
- pork belly – a convenient low carb protein option
- grass fed beef sirloin roast – a convenient low carb protein option
- roast chicken breast – for adding to salads
15. Raw Cheese
Trader Joe’s has an extensive collection of high-quality raw cheese and goes perfectly if you’re planning on putting together an epic Cheese Board.
16. Oven Baked Cheese Bites
And if you’re looking for travel-friendly cheese on the go, these crackers are also great options and are made from 100% cheese.
Frozen foods and other convenient Trader Joe’s products we love:
- Premium Salmon Burgers – clean ingredients, tastes delicious, high in protein & low in carbs
- Tuna Burgers – clean ingredients, tastes delicious
- Mahi Mahi Burgers – clean ingredients, tastes delicious
- Turkey Burgers – clean ingredients, tastes delicious, high in protein & low in carbs
- Chili Lime Chicken Burgers – clean ingredients, tastes delicious, high in protein & low in carbs
- Shrimp – toss it on the grill and add it to salads or tacos
- Chicken Thigh Meat – toss it in the Instant Pot for: Instant Pot Lemon Chicken with Garlic
- Wings – great in the air fryer for the kids and the husband
Easy Keto Snacks We Love
- seasoned kale chips – clean ingredients & a crispy & healthier alternative for when you’re craving chips
- broccoli florets – clean ingredients & a crispy & healthier alternative for when you’re craving chips
- crispy okra – clean ingredients & a crispy & healthier alternative for when you’re craving chips
- freeze-dried blueberries, strawberries, raspberries – no sugar added & great for the kids’ lunchboxes or topping on keto oatmeal
- roasted coconut chips – great for making keto granola and adding as a topping to keto oatmeal
- coconut chips – great for making keto granola and adding as a topping to keto oatmeal
- organic coconut flakes – great for making making keto granola bars, no bake cookies, keto granola and adding as a topping to keto oatmeal
DOES TRADER JOE’S SELL PRODUCE?
Fresh Vegetables / Fruit
Trader Joe’s has a diverse selection of organic fruits and vegetables at a great price. I love their convenient salad mixes and and prewashed vegetables.
Also, don’t forget to check out their conveniently prepared fresh foods: With pre-sliced fruits and veggies, you can find a fresh snack on the go!
As you can see, their organic berries are on sale at reasonable prices.
DOES TRADER JOE’S SELL MEAT?
As you can see, Trader Joe’s has a small section of fresh meat and seafood. It works in a pinch if you’re already in there and don’t want to make another stop. But the prices are so much more expensive than Costco and the packages don’t have a ton in them.
Other Keto Foods to Avoid at Trader Joe’s
So here are some of the things you shouldn’t buy at Trader Joe’s:
Dried Figs – high in sugar and carbs
Dried Beets, Dried Parsnips – high carb snacks that could kick you out of ketosis if you go overboard
Broccoli Crust Pizza – contains high carb flours
Cauliflower Pizza Crust – contains high carb flours – you can check out our Low Carb Cauliflower Pizza Crust recipe HERE
Healthy Organic Juices and Drinks – many of these are sweetened with organic sugar, agave or other “healthy” sweeteners that will have an impact on your blood sugar.
Protein Bars and Drinks – many snack bars and drinks are marketed “keto-friendly” these days but that doesn’t mean they are. Many of these products are high in carbs and with a long list of questionable ingredients.
Try these Keto Granola Bars that are made with ingredients you can feel good about. And if you don’t feel like making your own, Quest Protein Bars are a popular choice with many keto followers.
Low Fat Yogurt or Yogurt Covered Anything – many of the low fat yogurts are full of sugar. If you’re craving yogurt, choose a brand that is high in protein, full-fat and low in carbs. Kite Hill – plain is an option for an occasional treat.
Veggie Straws or Corn Tortilla Chips – Trader Joe’s has a massive selection of chips and sweets. However, many of them are made with high carb fillers and sweetened with weird ingredients and harsh on your digestive system
A few other keto grocery haul / shopping guides
Low carb Pantry Shopping Guide
How to Get Back into Ketosis Fast
Keto Foods to Buy at Whole Foods
Tips on How to Stay Low Carb / Keto When Dining Out
Things to know on How to Start The Ketogenic Diet Guide
This was so helpful! Used it on the weekend to stock up. Thanks!
Great list! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for this list! It was so helpful!
Thank you! Love this list! So helpful!