Wondering what the best foods to freeze when you can’t go to the store? No matter what is going on within our lives, some times it is best to figure out which foods are best for the freezer. This list features a variety of recipes and foods such as hummus (yes, you can freeze hummus), soup, vegetables, and breakfast ideas that are so easy to freeze.
THE BEST HEALTHY FOODS TO FREEZE IN THE FREEZER
As long as you keep these basic foods in the freezer all year long, you will be able to make almost any type of recipe. Some of the healthy essentials we like to keep in our freezers include:
- Vegetables such as carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers, potatoes, etc. We like to do for slice our produce beforehand and store any leftover diced onions. SO easy to do, just move to a freezer-safe plastic bag!
- So you’re probably wondering, how do I freeze fruit? Good news – any fruit that was close to going bad! If we notice any of our bananas, berries, or apples starting to discolor, we simply slice them up and store in freezer-safe storage bags. Perfect for smoothies, desserts, oats, breads, etc.
- Bread. Yes, if you happen to have a surplus amount of leftover bread, but do not want to throw it away, simply wrap in plastic wrap or store in a storage bag safe for the freezer. This prevents waste and provides the right ingredient for french toast, casseroles, etc.
HEALTHY RECIPES FOR THE FREEZER
We love making easy and healthy freezer meals from our pantries. Not only does it save us money, but it also allows us to save some extra time at home and cut the conveniences. These simple and healthy recipes are the best foods to freeze.
PROTEIN BALLS | VEGAN | PALEO | LOW CARB
These delicious vegan treats are the perfect pick-me-up throughout any day and some of the best foods to freeze, ever. Amazing for meal prep, these lemon bliss balls are filled with super real ingredients and are so satisfying. These protein bites are made with just a handful of ingredients from the pantry!
WHY SHOULD I FREEZE THESE LEMON PROTEIN BALLS?
- These lemon balls filled with protein are some of the best foods to freeze because they are perfect for anything! Easy to make, this recipe is great for any adult or kid while staying inside or playing around in the backyard. These protein balls are great for hiking and camping, too!
- It is easy to make a double batch of this recipe and place in storage bags for the freezer. After the bites have set, simply transfer to an airtight storage bag, date, and store in the freezer! These protein balls will last in the freezer for up to three months.
- Healthy protein balls are great for curing any sweet tooth while at home. Paleo and vegan, these treats carry no guilt.
SIMPLE AND EASY HUMMUS WITHOUT TAHINI
CAN YOU FREEZE HOMEMADE HUMMUS?
The answer is yes, you can absolutely freeze hummus! It is okay to make an over-abundance of this delicious food because it freezes so well and can last in the freezer for up to four months.
- When getting ready to freeze hummus, simply transfer the mixture into a freezer-safe container.
- Drizzle a layer of olive oil over the flattened hummus to create a seal.
- When ready to defrost, place the frozen hummus in the refrigerator to thaw out overnight.
There may be some slight separation in the hummus. Just mix it together to enjoy one of the best foods to freeze, ever.
GRANOLA BARS – 12 WAYS
These granola bars are perfect for the freezer. Healthy, delicious, and easy to make, these granola bars freeze very well and come in handy when we need a healthy snack!
HOW LONG WILL THESE GRANOLA BARS LAST IN THE FREEZER?
- This recipe will store really well in the freezer! Just make sure you have some plastic bags or wrap!
- Simply wrap the granola bars with plastic wrap or store in a bag for the freezer. These granola bars will freeze for quite a while!
- When ready to eat, just thaw in the refrigerator overnight and allow the granola bars to come to room temperature. Enjoy!
BEST BREAKFAST FOODS TO FREEZE
There is nothing better than being able to grab breakfast straight out of the freezer. For those busy or (not-so-busy) mornings, these breakfast ideas for the freezer are incredible AND healthy!
BLUEBERRY PANCAKES | KETO | PALEO | LOW CARB
We love how incredibly easy it is to freeze pancakes. Seriously, making a huge batch of pancakes has never been so much fun because of the excitement that exists while stuffing the pancakes in storage bags for the freezer.
IS IT EASY TO FREEZE BLUEBERRY PANCAKES?
Just like the store-bought pancakes found the in the freezer aisles at grocery stores, these paleo pancakes are way healthier and cost-effective.
- On a meal-prep day, make a huge batch of these healthy blueberry pancakes.
- Allow the pancakes to completely cool to room temperature before freezing.
- Once the pancakes are at room temperature, simply layer the pancakes between waxed paper in freezer bags or aluminum foil. You could also wrap the pancakes in waxed paper.
- These pancakes for the freezer are good for up to two months. When ready to eat, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 10 minutes or so.
BREAKFAST EGG MUFFINS – 9 WAYS
The healthy egg muffins are super family-friendly and taste amazing. Not only is this breakfast recipe incredibly healthy, but these muffins taste amazing and are perfect for kids. With so many different healthy options, the entire household will want these savory breakfast treats around.
WHY SHOULD I FREEZE THESE EGG MUFFINS?
- This recipe comes with 9 different versions of egg muffins. Next time you are preparing breakfast, make a little extra to stick in the freezer. In the mood for veggies and protein?
- This egg muffin recipe is the one of the best recipes to freeze! Super easy to reheat and enjoy, these muffins make breakfast a breeze.
- When getting ready to freeze these egg muffins, simply store in a freezer-safe bag or container. These muffins will last up to three months in the freezer and be reheated in the microwave!
KETO WAFFLES – LOW CARB / PALEO
These waffles are another great way to satisfy the entire family any morning. Super easy to make, these waffles will be the freezer’s best-friends.
WHY THESE WAFFLES ARE THE BEST FOODS TO FREEZE
- This keto waffle recipe is the perfect answer to any big (or little) breakfast. We do not know about you, but instead of buying frozen waffles, we prefer to make them our own (hello, wallet!).
- After enjoying these delicious waffles, make sure to freeze an extra batch. All you need is an airtight bag or container and maybe some wax paper.
- Put these freezer-friendly waffles in a single layer in the container or bag while making sure to separate each waffle with the wax paper. When ready to reheat, simply heat in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes or so. Top with whichever toppings you would prefer.
CARROT WAFFLES – PALEO | LOW CARB | KETO
These healthy carrot waffles are bright and cheery especially for spring. Easy to make, these waffles are perfect for the freezer and the kids will love them. We keep these around all year long!
WHY IS THIS RECIPE ALSO BEST TO FREEZE?
- This recipe is great for the freezer because of how effortless it is to reheat! Whenever we find ourselves in a pinch, we like to depend on these healthy frozen waffles to save the mornings.
- These waffles are way better than store bought waffles and will leave anyone feeling fulfilled and healthy. Paleo and super low carb, these waffles are filled with real ingredients.
- They freeze well. Make an extra batch of these waffles and just allow them to cool down. In a single layer, place these waffles into an airtight bag and freeze. You’ll love popping them in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit to heat for about 10 minutes.
These muffins are incredibly flavorful and great for any freezer. If you can manage to keep yourself from eating these muffins long enough, we highly suggest storing these deliciously healthy treats in the freezer for some rainy days.
HOW DO I STORE THESE MUFFINS IN THE FREEZER?
- These gluten-free muffins can be stored in the freezer in an airtight bag or container. Freeze enough muffins to last a week or an entire month!
- After the muffins are completely cooled off, simply stick the muffins in a freezer bag. Find a good spot in the freezer for these muffins and store them for up to three months!
- When ready to eat these muffins, thaw the muffins out overnight in the refrigerator or on the counter for a few hours. Warm them up in the microwave if you’re feeling sweet.
THE BEST SOUPS TO FREEZE
Soup leftovers are definitely great for freezing. Not only do you get skip out on a night of cooking, but you also get to save some money with a healthy and nutritious meal.
DETOX VEGETABLE SOUP
An amazing food to freeze in the freezer is this delicious vegetable soup. Detoxifying and super healthy, these soup filled with vegetables is the key to any lunch or dinner.
HOW DOES THIS SOUP FREEZE IN THE FREEZER?
- This soup is so easy to freeze in the freezer! We love freezing this soup with mason jars, storage bags, or glass containers.
- After the soup has come to room temperature, slowly transfer the soup into preferred container. Securely close each container and store in the freezer! Be sure to date the product. This soup can last in the freezer for up to three months.
- When ready to enjoy again, thaw in the refrigerator overnight or in a small container of room temperature water. Reheat on the stove-top or microwave!
BROCCOLI SOUP | WHOLE30 | VEGAN | KETO | LOW CARB
This Whole30 and vegan broccoli soup is super creamy and nutritious. Made with cauliflower and broccoli, we love to have this soup several times a month. Thank goodness we can freeze it! Make sure you make a huge batch of this healthy recipe because you will want your freezer filled with it.
HOW DO I FREEZE BROCCOLI SOUP LEFTOVERS?
- After the broccoli soup has finished cooking, allow the leftover soup to come to room temperature. Pour the soup in freezer-friendly storage containers or bags.
- After the bags or containers are filled and closed, lay the bags of soup flat to store in the freezer. The soup is good in the freezer for up to three months.
- When ready to thaw soup, just place the containers or bags of soup in the refrigerator 24 hours prior to consuming. To reheat the soup, just cook over low-heat and stir often.
IRISH BEEF STEW – WITH KETO OPTIONS
This beef stew is delicious and has keto options, too. Made in the Instant Pot, this rich and flavorful stew is the perfect food for comfort. Loaded with vegetables and protein, this soup will always have a place in the freezer. It is seriously so easy to make and freeze.
HOW DO I FREEZE THIS BEEF STEW?
- Make the stew. Allow the beef stew to come to room temperature (this may take a while).
- Once the stew has cooled down, simply transfer to a freezer-safe storage bag, jar, or container. Be careful not to spill!
- Make sure the soup is secured and place in a level spot in the freezer. When ready to reheat, just let the stew thaw out in the refrigerator overnight or defrost in a bowl of cold water. Cook on the stove-top or microwave!
INSTANT POT CHICKEN STOCK – WHOLE30 / KETO / PALEO
One of the best foods to keep in the freezer all year long is this chicken stock made in the Instant Pot. Paleo, low carb, and Whole30 compliant, this stock is great for soups, casseroles, and other main dishes.
HOW DO I STORE CHICKEN STOCK IN THE FREEZER?
- When getting ready to store this recipe in the freezer, simply allow the chicken stock to come to room temperature first.
- If storing in two-quart mason jars, be sure to only fill your mason jars 3/4 full before sticking in the freezer. This allows enough room for the stock to expand.
- This recipe can be stored in the freezer by using BPA-free plastic freezer-storage bags. This is a great option if needing to reheat smaller portions.
- Another great option for storing this stock in the freezer is by using an ice cube container. Once the chicken stock is frozen, pop the cubes out and store in a large storage bag safe for the freezer. This method is perfect for adding into stir-fry recipes or any other dinner.
Chicken stock can last in the freezer for up to three months, so do not forget to date each bag or jar of stock! When ready to thaw and reheat this recipe, then take one of the mason jars or bags of stock out of the freezer and defrost overnight in the refrigerator. If using the frozen cubes, then just pop each cube in the preferred recipe that is being prepared.
BEST MAIN COURSE FOODS FOR THE FREEZER
There is nothing quite like having dinner ready in less than an hour. Whenever we have an abundance of leftovers, which is often, we like to freeze them in freezer-safe Ziploc bags or glass containers. We love how we can open our freezers and find a good home-cooked recipe! Carbs are great for the freezer because of how filling and comforting they tend to be, and the recipes are typically easy on the wallet.
BROCCOLI CASSEROLE | LOW CARB | KETO
This casserole is great to have in the freezer all-year-round. Why? We love this broccoli casserole recipe because of how healthy and comforting it is. Perfect for the family, this casserole loaded with chicken, cheese, and cauliflower rice will win the entire household over.
HOW TO STORE BROCCOLI CASSEROLE IN THE FREEZER
- Make an extra batch of this casserole on meal prep day. Allow the additional batch to come to room temperature.
- Find a glass storage container, and then fill it up with this casserole. Store in the freezer for up to three months.
- When ready to defrost this recipe, allow the casserole to thaw overnight in the refrigerator or place in container of cold water. Reheat in the oven or microwave when ready to serve!
CAULIFLOWER CASSEROLE – LOW CARB | KETO
Another great casserole idea is this delicious recipe filled with cauliflower. It tastes just like a loaded baked potato, but it is way healthier and keto-friendly.
HOW DO I FREEZE THIS HEALTHY RECIPE?
- Transfer this healthy casserole recipe into a freezer-friendly storage container after the casserole has come to room temperature.
- Place in the freezer, date the container, and store up to three months.
- When ready to reheat on a busy weeknight, allow the casserole to defrost overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat in the oven or microwave when ready to serve.
LOW CARB SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE – PALEO / KETO / SUGAR FREE
This sweet potato casserole is filled with so many healthy and real ingredients such as pecans and cinnamon, and we love it so much that we insist on having it in our freezers all year long. Although this freezer-friendly recipe requires a little more work, it is delicious and still very simple to store and create.
HOW TO STORE THIS BEST SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE IN THE FREEZER
- Assemble the casserole ingredients ahead of time to freeze for later. The amazing pumpkin cauliflower puree is freezer-friendly and can be stored in a casserole dish or other storage container prior to baking.
- When ready to bake, simply thaw the puree overnight in the refrigerator or in tub of water. Mix up the topping ingredients and place over the thawed casserole mixture before baking. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 25-30 minutes.
INSTANT POT QUINOA FRIED RICE
A great alternative to traditional fried rice, if you happen to have some quinoa, then this recipe is seriously amazing and healthy. Fried rice is definitely a family favorite in our homes, and we love to prepare this recipe at least once a week. Made in the Instant Pot, this healthy recipe consists of colorful mixed vegetables and delicious spices.
HOW DO I STORE THIS FRIED RICE IN THE FREEZER?
- Make a double batch of this quinoa fried rice in the Instant Pot. Allow the rice to completely cool down before transferring to glass or plastic storage containers.
- Transfer the cooked quinoa to a container or bag and pat down into a single layer. Place in freezer and store for up to three months.
- When ready to enjoy, take the quinoa out of the freezer and defrost overnight in the refrigerator.
BARBECUE CHICKEN FOIL PACKETS
These barbecue chicken foil packets are ready in less than 30 minutes and filled with such incredible flavors. Sweet, but with a tiny amount of heat (up to you), this chicken is a family fave and will be a staple in the household.
CAN I STORE THESE CHICKEN FOIL PACKETS IN THE FREEZER?
- Yes! Foil packets are some of the best foods to freeze! Just leave out the zucchini and bell peppers prior to freezing to prevent them from getting soggy. Add them in later when you are ready to cook.
- Just double wrap (or more) in aluminum foil and store (three months) until ready to reheat! Don’t forget the zucchini and bell peppers!
- When ready to enjoy, defrost the chicken in the refrigerator until completely thawed. Reheat in the microwave or oven.
INSTANT POT CHICKEN CACCIATORE – PALEO, KETO, LOW CARB
A comforting Italian dish made in the Instant Pot, this chicken cacciatore is one of the best foods to freeze. This recipe is filled with deliciously tender chicken, tomatoes, carrots, and kale. Made in about 30 minutes, this recipe is essential for any busy (or slow) evening at home.
HOW TO STORE THIS CHICKEN CACCIATORE IN THE FREEZER
- Before freezing, shred the cooked chicken so it will be easier to enjoy.
- Portion out any leftovers into freezer-safe storage bags or containers, date, and store in the freezer for up to three months.
- When ready to reheat, place the frozen recipe in the refrigerator to defrost overnight. Warm the chicken on a stove-top using medium-heat or in the microwave for about two minutes or until fully warmed . Serve this recipe over pasta, rice, or by itself.
OTHER HEALTHY AND BEST FOODS TO FREEZE IN THE FREEZER
This list features just a variety of simple foods for the freezer! We like to always have some of these in our freezers because they come in handy when we need them the most. Whether we are needing to lightly snack or enjoy a light lunch, we like to prepare a variety of these recipes.
5 INGREDIENT ENERGY BITES – NO BAKE
These energy bites are insanely delicious and filling. Loaded with protein and healthy additions that are probably already in the pantry, these energy bites will keep anyone moving all day. We love these bites for a light healthy snack or breakfast.
HOW DO I FREEZE THESE ENERGY BITES?
- Make a huge batch of energy bites! Use some variations such as almond joy energy bites, oatmeal raisin energy bites, or carrot cake energy bites. They are all delicious and easy to make!
- After the energy bites have set, simply place in a large Ziploc bag and store in the freezer in a single layer.
- When ready to eat these energy bites, allow them to come to room temperature. Enjoy the boost of protein!
This gluten-free pizza is definitely a lifesaver. Our family really loves this recipe, and honestly, we cannot get enough of it ourselves. The perfect food for the freezer, this healthy pizza is great for any family night at home.
HOW DO I STORE THIS PIZZA IN THE FREEZER?
- Start by prebaking the premade dough in the oven, and then allow the pizza to cool down. Place the pan in the freezer for 10 minutes, and once the gluten-free pizza crust is slightly frozen, wrap it with plastic wrap.
- Store the crust in a large freezer bag or an airtight container. Freeze up to between two and three months.
- When you’re craving pizza for dinner, remove the grain free pizza crust from the freezer and add your desired toppings. Reheat the pizza in the air fryer at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for eight minutes or in the oven for 10 minutes.
PEANUT BUTTER CUPS – LOW CARB / KETO FAT BOMBS
These keto and low-carb friendly peanut butter cups are so amazingly delicious and some of the best foods to freeze. Healthy and super simple to make, we love to have these treats in our freezers for when that strong craving occurs.
HOW DO I STORE PEANUT BUTTER CUPS IN THE FREEZER?
- After the peanut butter cups have set, simply transfer to freezer-safe storage container or bag.
- Close seal and freeze for up to three months! Take out of the freezer and thaw until peanut butter cup comes to room temperature. Enjoy!